Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Aliminum boat with outboard jet

Re: Aliminum boat with outboard jet

Ron there is a jet boating safety course put on by UNBC in Prince George I believe it's in May. I took it last year and it was very much worth while. Learned a lot. There was a couple guys with smaller vessels like you are describing and they ripped through the shallows really good but they were extremely limited on payload.
    Don't Go Ninja'n Nobody, Don't Need Ninja'n!

Quote Originally Posted by bigwhiteys View Post
    Ron there is a jet boating safety course put on by UNBC in Prince George I believe it's in May. I took it last year and it was very much worth while. Learned a lot. There was a couple guys with smaller vessels like you are describing and they ripped through the shallows really good but they were extremely limited on payload.
    Thanks Karl, good information.

IF I go this route, I'll be outfitting myself for a solo trip with, carrying only my backpacking gear plus a small emergency kit that would stay in the boat.
    In the long and short of it all, I am weighing this option against a solo fly in. Determining if a boat/motor that I can use for more than just river hunts is even possible is the first question. As I said above, larger less technical rivers is what Im looking at " got to start somewhere". I'll gladly leave the fast skinny water to those with pupose built boats and expetience.

The biggest limiting factor will be range. You need fuel to go far, and fuel weighs quite a bit, which makes you burn more fuel which means you have to carry more fuel etc.

Quote Originally Posted by ryanb View Post
    The biggest limiting factor will be range. You need fuel to go far, and fuel weighs quite a bit, which makes you burn more fuel which means you have to carry more fuel etc.
    Understood

We use a little 14’ with a 25 jet that’s a treat. Our moose spot has a shallow meandering river that it’s perfect for. No launch so it has to be light, and the jet cruises easily over 3-4” inches of water on small gravel.

The moose do NOT like the boat and we can only use it after the kill.

Quote Originally Posted by ryanonthevedder View Post
    We use a little 14’ with a 25 jet that’s a treat. Our moose spot has a shallow meandering river that it’s perfect for. No launch so it has to be light, and the jet cruises easily over 3-4” inches of water on small gravel.

The moose do NOT like the boat and we can only use it after the kill.
    Mercury 25 hp at the jet outboards paired with 1448 mt boats rip pretty good and are pretty cheap to get into.

35hp jet is much better with 14ft inflatable if going upstream against current with a decent load....extra fuel, camp, meat, etc. Anything less is painfully slow IMO

My first jet boat was a 19' Alumaweld Stryker with a Mercury 115/80 outboard jet. It was an under powered pos or maybe I expected too much. Part of the problem was it didn't have a proper tunnel to feed the jet intake combined with too much V in the hull. I was glad to get rid of it.

Quote Originally Posted by BC Cruiser View Post
    Mercury 25 hp at the jet outboards paired with 1448 mt boats rip pretty good and are pretty cheap to get into.
    Was pretty close to what I was looking at, except the boat was a 16 '

I know four guys that fish 2 per boat with the 1448 Mt and 25 hp at the jet mercury’s in skinny water. The others points are valid about capacity and extra fuel etc. Inflatables often have significant drag and require slightly higher hp to run. 16 ft is probably a little long for 25 hp at the jet. Most important thing is the jet outboard is set up correctly.