Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Aliminum boat with outboard jet

Aliminum boat with outboard jet

A general question, anyone use a 14-16 ' aluminum with an outboard jet to hunt norther bc rivers?

I understand larger purpose built river jet boats are a different animal all together and can get to places and haul more than other boats just cant or shouldn't. Just curious if anyone has used a smaller boat with any success?

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Aliminum boat with outboard jet

we used to hunt some rivers with a 16' Jonboat and a 40 hp short shaft. Pick your rivers and it works ok but it was no bbig wate runner that is for sure.
    "BORN TO HUNT"
    Foxton's Cuervo Gold "KEELA" Oct. 2004-June 2017. Always in my blind and my heart.

Boats are a constant battle of tradeoffs. More capacity, bigger water, more $$. Like Foxton says, it can be done if you pick the right river but everything is a compromise.

I did a trip up the Tuchodi a few years back and I was surprised by the skill that was required of the driver. I have done a lot of boat driving in my life but it would take a good number of hours and mentoring before I'd consider any fast skinny water. Sh*t goes south really fast and I wouldn't want to be in a compromise boat unless I was absolutely confident in the boat driver.
    Is Justin Competent, or just incompetent?

I'd imagine if you had a good hull design with a tunnel, a urethane or uhmw shoe, a strong bottom and some quick steer it could work great in the rock bouncing rivers..

People don't like sport jets and the longevity seems to be way less than a 4 stroke outboard but for similar weight and price you could get more power, less worry about smacking your shoe, less fussy tuning and adjusting for clean water, and you can add a stomp grate...
    "Our arrows will block out the sun!" "Then we shall fight in the dark!" K.L. Government is not the solution to our problem, it is the problem. R.R. “One of the great mistakes is to judge policies and programs by their intentions rather than their results.” M.F. https://www.youtube.com/channel/UClJ...fYFveARiWyqjQA

Use what you got within its limitations. Most rivers can be run in most river boats... ultimately it comes down to how forgiving the boat is of mistakes, how much weight it can pack, and how far and fast it will go.

Northern BC rivers? That's a pretty broad topic. Be more specific. Some larger rivers require less skill and some small fast rivers require years of skill.
    The challenge of retirement is how to spend time without spending money.
    The worst day slinging lead is still better than the best day working.
    Look around is there someone you can introduce to shooting because that’s the only way we will buck the anti gun trend sweeping Canada! "tigrr 2006"

Quote Originally Posted by tigrr View Post
    Northern BC rivers? That's a pretty broad topic. Be more specific. Some larger rivers require less skill and some small fast rivers require years of skill.
    Consider me a beginner with no mentor. So larger less technical rivers will be on my list.

One problem with an aluminum jet boat is that aluminum does not slide over granite. Just the opposite, it sticks to it like Velcro. If you run over a shallow area the boat will come to a very abrupt halt. That's why most shallow water aluminum boats have a uhmw or urethane shoe on the bottom.
    I put my 21' Eaglecraft up on a nice smooth rock shore to get some oysters. The tide went out about a foot and we just about needed a crane to get the boat off of the rock.

I have a 14 ft inflatable with 22" Tubes and a Kevlar type bottom and a Yamaha F40 which becomes 30 HP when you put a jet shoe on it. I have used it on the Muskwa, Gathto Creek, Tuchodi River and several other
    rivers throughout BC. The Kevlar type material slides over the rocks and does not get hung up. PM if you want more info.

If you forget about bouncing off rocks in skinny water it'll do fine. So no small rivers with rocks showing in the riffles bigger rivers with solid water only. To get below the hull your jet is going to draw 6 inches at least and its sticking out there like a sore thumb with no protection. Better than a prop boat but no where near a jet in a tunnel.
    its gonna take a life time to hunt and fish all this