Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Aliminum boat with outboard jet

Re: Aliminum boat with outboard jet

Quote Originally Posted by Arctic Lake View Post
    Not trying to take away from your initial post Ron .I once thought about hunters using jet ski,s Can you hunt using a jet ski ? If I have the law down pat when using an outboard motor the motor needs to be out of the water ?
    Arctic Lake
    Cant see that being a good option to transport meat, and I have zero use for a jet ski.

The reason Im inquiring about an aluminum with an outboard or maybe and inflatable is so I can use it for other purposes.
    Last edited by Ron.C; 02-03-2020 at 08:15 AM.

If you can pack it in, You can pack it out !!!

UNITED WE STAND, DIVIDED WE FALL !!!

BCWF
    WSSBC
    CCFR
    " The secret of change is to focus all your energy, not on fighting the old, but building on the new"
    Socrates.

Quote Originally Posted by dino View Post
    Where did you find the 12.5 solar inflatable. I cant find them anywhere
    I was in the middle of buying one from JetechlLLP out of Alaska when a used one came up on Kijiji in Mission. 2019 Solar 380 with the jet tunnel, trim tabs and heavy-duty bottom. It was a 2019 model that had only been used a couple times and was like new with not a mark on it. It also came with a 2006 Merc 2-stroke 20hp factory jet that was also in excellent shape.

The hull alone was like $3,800 US from Jetech and the pump for a 25hp Merc, which I have, was like $2,000 US from California Jets. Shipping was extra for both. I picked the whole used package up in Mission for $5,000 Cdn.

It would have been a great deal if I lived in the lower mainland but with living in Fort Mac now it was a bit more work and expense. I had a few members that offered to ship it up for me but without packaging it up on the Mission end myself I was worried things could go wrong, so I hopped in the truck and drove down to pick it up. Cost me $700 in fuel but it was worth it.

I have a 12-1/2’ Titan inflatable and the 25hp 2-stroke Merc prop leg that I’ll put up for sale in the spring once ice is gone around here so the difference will only be about 3 G’s once all said and done. I’m pretty excited to get into a few places around here that a guy could launch a small inflatable jet like the Solar, but not a bigger trailered unit. On the Firebag River it would save a 3-1/2 hour run in a big boat just to get to where I launch, and from there up river it gets pretty skinny.

Ron, I ran a 1448 Starcraft with a 25hp 2-stroke Merc Sea-Pro (Tohatsu) Jet the first couple years in Fort Mac. It was great for one person and not bad for 2. It topped out at 18mph on the gps with 2 guys and enough gear for hunting or fishing for the day. That doesn’t sound like much but in a small boat that planed at low speed it was fine. I could take some shallow water and when the pump did hit it just kicked up, unlike bigger outboards. In 2 years I hit a lot and the bottom of the boat and pump were still in excellent shape when I sold it. With the advent of polyurethane or rubber intakes I would put one on and never worry about it. I only sold it to buy a 16-1/2’ Explorer Industries Outboard jet so that I could take a bit bigger rapids on the Athabasca. I still ran those rapids in the Starcraft but really shouldn’t have. I would have bought another aluminum but I’m in the middle of building a fully custom off-road buggy on 52”x27”wide low impact tires that were imported from Russia. The idea is I’ll be able to load the inflatable and jet pump up on the buggy, drive in through miles of nasty Muskeg in the buggy and hunt and fish some lakes around here that are fly in only.

https://www.kijiji.ca/v-view-details...dId=1483570673

this was around 16k awhile back out of houston BC

Nice Rig, the only thing i see is there's a lot of weight at the back which might lead to porpoising (maybe) Fuel tank up front would be helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Drillbit View Post
    https://www.kijiji.ca/v-view-details...dId=1483570673

this was around 16k awhile back out of houston BC

Quote Originally Posted by fuzzybiscuit View Post
    I was in the middle of buying one from JetechlLLP out of Alaska when a used one came up on Kijiji in Mission. 2019 Solar 380 with the jet tunnel, trim tabs and heavy-duty bottom. It was a 2019 model that had only been used a couple times and was like new with not a mark on it. It also came with a 2006 Merc 2-stroke 20hp factory jet that was also in excellent shape.

The hull alone was like $3,800 US from Jetech and the pump for a 25hp Merc, which I have, was like $2,000 US from California Jets. Shipping was extra for both. I picked the whole used package up in Mission for $5,000 Cdn.

It would have been a great deal if I lived in the lower mainland but with living in Fort Mac now it was a bit more work and expense. I had a few members that offered to ship it up for me but without packaging it up on the Mission end myself I was worried things could go wrong, so I hopped in the truck and drove down to pick it up. Cost me $700 in fuel but it was worth it.

I have a 12-1/2’ Titan inflatable and the 25hp 2-stroke Merc prop leg that I’ll put up for sale in the spring once ice is gone around here so the difference will only be about 3 G’s once all said and done. I’m pretty excited to get into a few places around here that a guy could launch a small inflatable jet like the Solar, but not a bigger trailered unit. On the Firebag River it would save a 3-1/2 hour run in a big boat just to get to where I launch, and from there up river it gets pretty skinny.
    Thanks for the reply. Im looking for a boat that i just have to inflate bolt motor on and go. I hate installing a floor.
    Hunting the promised land

Quote Originally Posted by fuzzybiscuit View Post
    Ron, I ran a 1448 Starcraft with a 25hp 2-stroke Merc Sea-Pro (Tohatsu) Jet the first couple years in Fort Mac. It was great for one person and not bad for 2. It topped out at 18mph on the gps with 2 guys and enough gear for hunting or fishing for the day. That doesn’t sound like much but in a small boat that planed at low speed it was fine. I could take some shallow water and when the pump did hit it just kicked up, unlike bigger outboards. In 2 years I hit a lot and the bottom of the boat and pump were still in excellent shape when I sold it. With the advent of polyurethane or rubber intakes I would put one on and never worry about it. I only sold it to buy a 16-1/2’ Explorer Industries Outboard jet so that I could take a bit bigger rapids on the Athabasca. I still ran those rapids in the Starcraft but really shouldn’t have. I would have bought another aluminum but I’m in the middle of building a fully custom off-road buggy on 52”x27”wide low impact tires that were imported from Russia. The idea is I’ll be able to load the inflatable and jet pump up on the buggy, drive in through miles of nasty Muskeg in the buggy and hunt and fish some lakes around here that are fly in only.

I have a 20 jet, what do you think is the smallest jon boat you think i could install it on.?
    Hunting the promised land

I have a 20 jet, what do you think is the smallest jon boat you think i could install it on.?
    I don’t think a 20hp at the head outboard jet would be enough on a 1448 Jon. It would push it when empty but at 13-12hp at the pump it would be very minimal. The 25hp Tohatsu (Merc Sea Pro) above had the restrictor plate modified like the 30hp Tohatsu’s and the timing advanced. From everything I know that was the only difference between the 25’s and 30’s. It actually did pretty good and I could load the boat up a bit and still get on step. Two guys and a small bull moose quartered up with a bit of gear and it still got us back down river on a plane.

Depending on what 20hp you have it could be the same as the 25hp model in that make. That’s what my 20hp 2-stroke 2006 Merc is. A new 25hp carb and timing advanced and you have a 25hp model. Other than that they were the same outboard. I did one quite a few years back and it’s amazing the difference 5hp makes in a small outboard.

I don’t think I really answered your question but anything smaller than a 1448 Jon can’t pack much.

Thanks for the reply. Im looking for a boat that i just have to inflate bolt motor on and go. I hate installing a floor.
    The inflatable floor in the Solar boats is very ridged. I had it all set up in my garage on a couple 4x4 posts spread about 7’ apart and there was very little flex when standing between them. The down side is it doesn’t roll up as tight as a removable floor model. The extra heavy-duty bottom also makes it harder to roll up. It would be a tough go to get it rolled up and in the back of a suv.