Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: what's your favourite turkey gun?

Re: what's your favourite turkey gun?

Quote Originally Posted by bluesman View Post
    Rifle hunting turkey is outlawed in most other jurisdictions . Should be in BC too in my opinion . Went thru this with a bunch on here before. Most people hunt them with shotgun or bow . Wearing very good camo to get close . A guy using a rimfire may not see a well camoflauged hunter close to a turkey. Hopefully no one gets shot before the regs change some day.

Turkey are tough birds so I would say 20 gauge is too light . Go with a 12 gauge 3 inch shell . #4

good luck and sure hope you don't go the rimfire route.

been said here before buy do not overcall. If one is around he will know where you are . And be patient .
    good luck
    Ban Ban Ban Ban !
    Get over it, I've been using 22WMR since Turkey was opened in BC. THAT is part of our heritage here, NOT shotgun or bow only .

Rimfire for head/neck shots or body shots?
    Never say whoa in the middle of a mud hole

My favorite shot is broad side, about an inch below the wing joint. average shot between 10 and 20 yards. never found a bird with bullet in it , but a few over the years with pellets in them.

Quote Originally Posted by btridge View Post
    My favorite shot is broad side, about an inch below the wing joint. average shot between 10 and 20 yards. never found a bird with bullet in it , but a few over the years with pellets in them.
    awesome! i knew there had to be some guys sniping these birds off with a rifle. great to hear, thanks for the tips.

in the latest meat eater season 8, the turkey hunting one with the chicks...they are using a 20ga shotgun.

i picked up some mouth calls, damn they are difficult. will be fun once i figure them out.

My season progression will go Recurve, franchi affinity 20ga, cz 455 17hmr... a progression of desperation balanced with the fact that once a tom is down I'm back to waiting for sheep/goat season so I don't want to tag out day one

Quote Originally Posted by Krico View Post
    The turkey shells available today make 20 gauge shotguns very effective on turkeys, most hunters use a 5 or 6 size shot. Good to 35 or 40 yards, farther with tungsten shot. There is a huge .410 movement in the US as well, using tungsten shot, generally smaller like 7-9 shot size.
    I shoot a Mossberg 535, 3.5” Winchester Long Beard #6 with a Vortex Viper red dot.
    my son shoots a Mossberg 510 mini 20 gauge, 3” Remington nitros with a Bushnell red dot.
    Tons of options out there, just pattern your gun and know your limits.
    is turkey shot lead?

Quote Originally Posted by btridge View Post
    Ban Ban Ban Ban !
    Get over it, I've been using 22WMR since Turkey was opened in BC. THAT is part of our heritage here, NOT shotgun or bow only .
    what rifle model you Use? Would 22lr do the job?