Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: what's your favourite turkey gun?

Hybrid View

what's your favourite turkey gun?

I plan on heading out this spring for some turkey! looking forward to it, but need a gun to get the deed done.

Whats your favourite setup? if i interpreted the regs correctly, rimfire and centrefire are legal as well? curious if anyone has success with one of those.

my standby that i'm looking for is gonna be a 12ga with a full choke...also considering a 20ga if one comes up that i like.

2. Site Sponsor

Re: what's your favourite turkey gun?

Personally I don’t think you should hunt turkey with any rifle . Shotgunning you should use a 12 gauge . They are tough birds . Use a shotgun with 3 inch turkey load shell . I would take a shot no further than 25 yards . I have taken turkey with traditional bows and shotgun. The nature of turkey hunting is to wear camo and call them in . It is a ton of fun and B.C. numbers are not high so finding them is not always easy . Last year I shot one and it took 2 1/2 hrs for him to come to me ... I was calling for two hours and was about to leave the area when finally a gobbler responded and I set up and another 30 minutes and he showed up with a hen . I took him at about 25 yards . Good luck
    yes full choke 12 gauge . Make sure nothing reflects light . Use box call to start as it carry’s sound far . Learn to use mouth call as the gobbler gets closer so you don’t move . Move at all and your busted . I use a jake decoy and a hen. If I carry only one decoy it’s a jake .

I suggest a leafy suit . Face needs to be covered and hands .

Better reinterpret those regs for Turkey in BC

I like an 1187 with turkey choke, 2 3/4 #4
    Last edited by boxhitch; 02-19-2020 at 12:43 AM.
    Never say whoa in the middle of a mud hole

Quote Originally Posted by boxhitch View Post
    Better reinterpret those regs for Turkey in BC

I like an 1187 with turkey choke, 2 3/4 #4
    thanks. I just rechecked them and missed the footnote on centerfire. rimfire or shotgun only for turkeys

I was mostly curious if anyone was picking off the birds with a rifle, or slightly different setup than your standard 12ga.

Looking forward to the season, will be using a shotgun. turkey choke is tighter than full? i'll see if i can get one.
    thanks for all the tips so far.

I always see turkey hunters with shotguns. But rimfires are legal, headshot should be no different than shooting chickens.
    No one on their death bed ever said; I should have spent more time at work.

20 gauge single shot with a turkey choke. Super light to hold up for the LONG time it takes for a wary mature tom to work his way in. Move and its game over.

Rifle hunting turkey is outlawed in most other jurisdictions . Should be in BC too in my opinion . Went thru this with a bunch on here before. Most people hunt them with shotgun or bow . Wearing very good camo to get close . A guy using a rimfire may not see a well camoflauged hunter close to a turkey. Hopefully no one gets shot before the regs change some day.

Turkey are tough birds so I would say 20 gauge is too light . Go with a 12 gauge 3 inch shell . #4

good luck and sure hope you don't go the rimfire route.

been said here before buy do not overcall. If one is around he will know where you are . And be patient .
    good luck
    Last edited by bluesman; 03-22-2020 at 08:04 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by bluesman View Post
    Rifle hunting turkey is outlawed in most other jurisdictions . Should be in BC too in my opinion . Went thru this with a bunch on here before. Most people hunt them with shotgun or bow . Wearing very good camo to get close . A guy using a rimfire may not see a well camoflauged hunter close to a turkey. Hopefully no one gets shot before the regs change some day.

Turkey are tough birds so I would say 20 gauge is too light . Go with a 12 gauge 3 inch shell . #4

good luck and sure hope you don't go the rimfire route.

been said here before buy do not overcall. If one is around he will know where you are . And be patient .
    good luck
    Ban Ban Ban Ban !
    Get over it, I've been using 22WMR since Turkey was opened in BC. THAT is part of our heritage here, NOT shotgun or bow only .

Quote Originally Posted by Krico View Post
    The turkey shells available today make 20 gauge shotguns very effective on turkeys, most hunters use a 5 or 6 size shot. Good to 35 or 40 yards, farther with tungsten shot. There is a huge .410 movement in the US as well, using tungsten shot, generally smaller like 7-9 shot size.
    I shoot a Mossberg 535, 3.5” Winchester Long Beard #6 with a Vortex Viper red dot.
    my son shoots a Mossberg 510 mini 20 gauge, 3” Remington nitros with a Bushnell red dot.
    Tons of options out there, just pattern your gun and know your limits.
    is turkey shot lead?

Quote Originally Posted by btridge View Post
    Ban Ban Ban Ban !
    Get over it, I've been using 22WMR since Turkey was opened in BC. THAT is part of our heritage here, NOT shotgun or bow only .
    what rifle model you Use? Would 22lr do the job?