Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: what's your favourite turkey gun?

what's your favourite turkey gun?

I plan on heading out this spring for some turkey! looking forward to it, but need a gun to get the deed done.

Whats your favourite setup? if i interpreted the regs correctly, rimfire and centrefire are legal as well? curious if anyone has success with one of those.

my standby that i'm looking for is gonna be a 12ga with a full choke...also considering a 20ga if one comes up that i like.

2. Site Sponsor

Re: what's your favourite turkey gun?

Personally I don’t think you should hunt turkey with any rifle . Shotgunning you should use a 12 gauge . They are tough birds . Use a shotgun with 3 inch turkey load shell . I would take a shot no further than 25 yards . I have taken turkey with traditional bows and shotgun. The nature of turkey hunting is to wear camo and call them in . It is a ton of fun and B.C. numbers are not high so finding them is not always easy . Last year I shot one and it took 2 1/2 hrs for him to come to me ... I was calling for two hours and was about to leave the area when finally a gobbler responded and I set up and another 30 minutes and he showed up with a hen . I took him at about 25 yards . Good luck
    yes full choke 12 gauge . Make sure nothing reflects light . Use box call to start as it carry’s sound far . Learn to use mouth call as the gobbler gets closer so you don’t move . Move at all and your busted . I use a jake decoy and a hen. If I carry only one decoy it’s a jake .

I suggest a leafy suit . Face needs to be covered and hands .

Better reinterpret those regs for Turkey in BC

I like an 1187 with turkey choke, 2 3/4 #4
    Last edited by boxhitch; 02-19-2020 at 12:43 AM.
    Never say whoa in the middle of a mud hole

I always see turkey hunters with shotguns. But rimfires are legal, headshot should be no different than shooting chickens.
    No one on their death bed ever said; I should have spent more time at work.

Quote Originally Posted by boxhitch View Post
    Better reinterpret those regs for Turkey in BC

I like an 1187 with turkey choke, 2 3/4 #4
    thanks. I just rechecked them and missed the footnote on centerfire. rimfire or shotgun only for turkeys

I was mostly curious if anyone was picking off the birds with a rifle, or slightly different setup than your standard 12ga.

Looking forward to the season, will be using a shotgun. turkey choke is tighter than full? i'll see if i can get one.
    thanks for all the tips so far.

20 gauge single shot with a turkey choke. Super light to hold up for the LONG time it takes for a wary mature tom to work his way in. Move and its game over.

Rifle hunting turkey is outlawed in most other jurisdictions . Should be in BC too in my opinion . Went thru this with a bunch on here before. Most people hunt them with shotgun or bow . Wearing very good camo to get close . A guy using a rimfire may not see a well camoflauged hunter close to a turkey. Hopefully no one gets shot before the regs change some day.

Turkey are tough birds so I would say 20 gauge is too light . Go with a 12 gauge 3 inch shell . #4

good luck and sure hope you don't go the rimfire route.

been said here before buy do not overcall. If one is around he will know where you are . And be patient .
    good luck
    Last edited by bluesman; 03-22-2020 at 08:04 PM.

The turkey shells available today make 20 gauge shotguns very effective on turkeys, most hunters use a 5 or 6 size shot. Good to 35 or 40 yards, farther with tungsten shot. There is a huge .410 movement in the US as well, using tungsten shot, generally smaller like 7-9 shot size.
    I shoot a Mossberg 535, 3.5” Winchester Long Beard #6 with a Vortex Viper red dot.
    my son shoots a Mossberg 510 mini 20 gauge, 3” Remington nitros with a Bushnell red dot.
    Tons of options out there, just pattern your gun and know your limits.
    Twist and pull.

While I wouldn't trust a 22lr to put down a turkey, a 22wmr or 17hmr should do the job with decent shot placement.