Thread: How far Inland

How far Inland

Hey Everyone. Yes, duck season is over and I’m officially addicted. This was my first year dedicating time to go waterfowl hunting. I still have much to learn. All of my experience has been on a particular estuary and most likely will continue that way. Living on the Island has limited options in that regard. On that note, I was curious how far waterfowl travel inland from the ocean? I’ve been looking at google maps and looking at certain ponds, marshy areas and lakes. I’ve come across a few good looking spots but was curious if you’d find geese in these areas, say 6km from the ocean (in a straight line on google maps). I figure Id have better luck finding ducks but I am unsure about geese in these areas. Would they mainly stay close to the ocean or fields that are closer to the ocean, say 3km or so. Or do they bounce from bay to bay? This may sound like an unreasonable question, definitely willing to make the drive and scout but thought I’d ask and see if anyone knew the limits to their travel from the estuaries. I know a lot of the ducks that I watched at the estuary would fly up river or would fly down river so they must be hanging out somewhere with slower water further inland, but I am unsure on how far inland they are going. Thanks for any help you guys can provide.

2. Site Sponsor

Re: How far Inland

Is Manitoba or Ontario far enough inland for you? lol

I've never hunted waterfowl on the island before but all waterfowl need an area where there's water to roost so I imagine if it's in their flyway any large lake or pond will suffice. Over here on the mainland up in the valley tor in the Okanagan, etc. the birds are using fresh water as their area to roost.

Quote Originally Posted by mastercaster View Post
    Is Manitoba or Ontario far enough inland for you? lol
    Holy moly. Thank you... but that is something I already am aware of.

I was more so pertaining towards Island inland as opposed to across the country and into the states.
    Last edited by BiohazardHands; 01-28-2020 at 07:13 PM.

what town are hunting in? or wanting to.

I live in Campbell River. I bounce North and will be bouncing to the West Coast for next season.