Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Moose or Elk

Central Interior of our beautiful british columbia.

Re: Moose or Elk

Peace country is not as good as it once was! I was just up there last weekend, elk and moose numbers were less than I've seen in previous years. Of course this is just an observation, and I have no scientific data to support this observation. We came home without an antlerless LEH elk, but some guys are gettin er done! We did have opportunities, and I feel with a bit more time up there, we could have harvested one! I'd throw my chances on a moose hunt, and I would head north, 6, or 7B, GOS, with the antler restrictions, I'll see you up there around rut time, if I don't score a local 7 moose any bull draw? Moosin
    "A good day hunting is mud on your truck or blood on your hands"

“Some people go to church and think about hunting……………others go hunting and think about God!”

It's actually called the 375 "ouch and ouch"!!

"Not asking for any spots or anything like that............................................"

Thanks for the replies so far. I have never hunted north of prince George so I'm tempted to head up and see what northern bc is like. It seems that is where most people suggest.

Seen lots of elk across the lake from the toad river cabins. It is a beautiful part of the world up there. I'd do a combo moose/elk hunt in late Sept/early Oct when the moose are rutting and the elk will still be vocal.

^^^
    check regs, as toad river only has a short GOS for elk

Quote Originally Posted by coldbuc69 View Post
    Hunt elk and make your own moose meat.
    buy a cow shoot in and leave it in a field for a week
    the hook it up to your 4wheeler and drag it around the yard for 3 days
    then load it up in the back of your truck and then throw dirt and 5 gallons of diesel on it
    then have it butchard
    wella prime A moose meat
    Personally I prefer moose meat over elk!

Its funny our hunting group is looking at the exact same thing, done hunting elk here for a few years and looking to go north for moose/elk combo if possible. It just such a vast area up north where does one begin. So I feel the pain. We have had a few buddies point us to the tumbler ridge area? Who knows, it will be our first trip north so a learning curve is to be expected for the 5 of us.
    Last edited by Elkaholic; 01-29-2020 at 11:47 AM.
    You can take the man out of the wilderness but you cant take the wilderness out of the man.

Lots of gas activity going on. And if you hunt anywhere with a cow season .. Your hunting elk that get pressured hard. It’s a tough one.

We met two different hunting parties from the lower mainland hunting the peace. That was the year of the fires that closed the Kootenays. One group was terrified of grizzlies and the fact the area we were all hunting was relatively flat. Both groups said they were used to hunting elk in the mountainous areas with slides and when they pulled the plug they said they would stick to their old hunting grounds next season. Both went home empty handed.

My advise, for your first trip up north stick to the terrain you’re used to.

jist cause your north does not mean you will see lots of moose.lol pockets are key...elk are in pockets too and you may be suprised the level of pressure.and fuel is twice as exspensive

There is nowhere that hasn’t had the wheels rode right off it these days. Best go to the terrain your most familiar hunting in. It was a bit challenging to figure out the peace elk after hunting the mountain elk of the elk. There was no more up and down patterning. I would lean towards the peace but be forewarned people are everywhere, a lot of spots are well used. Keep putting in for leh regardless as maybe your luck will come in. We always put in leh bull with low odds and got to go and kill moose every few yrs, just got to be ok with driving to new country. The mud in the peace can drive a person mental. A must need is good rubber, a tow strap, shovel, chains and to know when not to drive down a road but rather walk or take an atv. A winch is good to if you have one.