Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Let the Withdrawal Begin,,,,,duck season is at an end!

Let the Withdrawal Begin,,,,,duck season is at an end!

Hunted with a buddy the last day of the season this past Friday. Boy, the ducks are educated at this time of the year but we still managed to decoy enough in that we ended the day just one short of a limit. That being said, the majority of them were anything but close. Because it was the last day of the season, we weren't in any hurry to leave, despite the pouring rain. We basically hunted sun up to sun down.

We were positive we'd get the last bird once the night flight came but we didn't see another bird the last hour or more that we were out. No night flight at all,,,,very strange, not a single bird!

My griff, Sako, made some awesome retrieves today! I think she probably only saw three of our total hit the ground. The rest were blind retrieves,,,,, a couple into some very thick blackberry bramble where she had to belly crawl in and then out with the bird. And another past the bramble, across a good channel of water, and into the next field. My buddy thought those were going to be lost birds for sure because we had no idea exactly where they went down ourselves. It's retrieves like those that you remember for a good long time.

All in all, it was a good way to end the season. Let the withdrawal begin!
    Last edited by mastercaster; 01-26-2020 at 08:34 PM.

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Let the Withdrawal Begin,,,,,duck season is at an end!

Heck ya that looks like a great time, awesome dog you have, do you turn them all into sausage or do you also do the traditional roast duck?

Quote Originally Posted by HarryToolips View Post
    Heck ya that looks like a great time, awesome dog you have, do you turn them all into sausage or do you also do the traditional roast duck?
    I've got about 40-45 pounds saved up so I'm having half made into pepperoni and the other half made into cheese /jalapeno smokies. I can't seem to get myself into the whole rigamarole of cleaning, plucking it, and getting all the pin feathers out in order to roast it. LOL

I figure it takes about 5 minuts to pluck a mallard and there should be no pin feathers at this time of year.
    But we also breast most of them and make sausage also.

awesome report and pics. Duck depression is setting in

Quote Originally Posted by Farmer View Post
    I figure it takes about 5 minuts to pluck a mallard and there should be no pin feathers at this time of year.
    But we also breast most of them and make sausage also.
    What kind of sausage do you have made?

One of the guys I hunt with does the roast duck dinner quite often. To be honest I haven't done it since I've only gotten back into waterfowl hunting since I got my griff (2 seasons worth) and thought I'd go the sausage route since I rarely turn any of the deer or moose I get into sausage since I shoot for table quality as opposed to size.

Plucked the odd pheasant back in the 80s but even then all I usually do with all the birds I've harvest in the past is just breast them out. Wish all the game birds were as easy as grouse where you just need to step on the wings and pull. Haha

You can just step on pheasants as well been doing it for 10 years ...

Last day before the thaw just set 6 floaters out in some open water no robo they poured in , 8 in 20 minutes just right time ..silly widgeon
    Last edited by Dutch; 01-27-2020 at 12:30 AM.

Nice work mastercaster. Looks like Sako has got it figured out

Quote Originally Posted by Dutch View Post
    Last day before the thaw just set 6 floaters out in some open water no robo they poured in , 8 in 20 minutes just right time ..silly widgeon
    I had one day fairly close like that but because there was 3 of us it took just over an hour. It's happened a number of times for my buddy, too, but he says he doesn't really care for days like that. He'd say "I got up 1/1/2 hours before the crack of dawn, lugged by gear out to the field, set up, and it was all over in 20 minutes!" haha

We talked about this scenario this past Friday. Both of us thought that it's more enjoyable when you get ones, doubles, or triples coming in over several hours just so you can extend your hunt.

Reminds me of cutting my mule deer tag this year. Saw a 2 point less that five minutes into hunting once I walked up the hill. Thought about not shooting for about 10 seconds and then shot it. Kind of anti climatic after waiting so long for opening day to come around. LOL Good thing I still had whitetail and moose hunting trips coming up.

I did get to tag along with my son the next day so he could get his, and then my daughter the day after. Just walked from behind with my griff on her leash. It was still a lot of fun. I didn't even have to help pack out any meat because we loaded all the deer meat in my son's pack and the next day my daughter and her husband had their horses to pack hers out.