Page 101 of 101 FirstFirst ... 519199100101
Results 1,001 to 1,010 of 1010

Thread: Random Outdoor Pics - Post them up!

Re: Random Outdoor Pics - Post them up!

Quote Originally Posted by TheObserver View Post
    I can think of many reasons, I usually sleep right through everything until morning so not having to get up as much would be one, you may only have limited fire starting if you are lost, say you don't know how to use friction to get a fire going and your running out of whatever else you have be it matches, lighter, ferro rod etc. Maybe good tinder is scarce, building fires smarter that last longer like the upside down instead of just a basic fire and running through a ton of wood, maybe you want to keep something heated throughout the night, so many reasons why knowing how to keep a fire going for a long time would be valuable I can't even think of em all right now.
    If lost, cold or wet sleeping through the night is probably not going to happen. Gathering wood and cutting in to pufect lengths comes at a cost of energy. If no saw or ax trying to brake wood in to smaller peaces the risk of injury goes way up. In such cases long poles and as they burn off putting the end in saves time and energy. A back stop of rotten log or stump or tree will keep embers till morning and not go through a ton of wood, the tree my catch fire but hay you're lost not a priority at the moment and they'll find you faster.
    Last edited by MRP; 02-26-2024 at 11:47 AM.
    No one on their death bed ever said; I should have spent more time at work.

Quote Originally Posted by MRP View Post
    If lost, cold or wet sleeping through the night is probably not going to happen. Gathering wood and cutting in to pufect lengths comes at a cost of energy. If no saw or ax trying to brake wood in to smaller peaces the risk of injury goes way up. In such cases long poles and as they burn off putting the end in saves time and energy. A back stop of rotten log or stump or tree will keep embers till morning and not go through a ton of wood, the tree my catch fire but hay you're lost not a priority at the moment and they'll find you faster.
    Fully agree.....

You remeber what kind of tree? Wonder if it had fatwood in the trunk that stuff is amazing! My buddy just recently told me about the root system gotta be careful about them burning because it can transfer and start a fire under there apparently
    IIRC, it was Douglas fir...

Was surprised how close we could get to this young bobcat....

[IMG][/IMG]

First time intentionally gathering Fatwood, didn't know how easy it was to find down here in region 2 here I was waitin to go to the interior to get a bunch. Lookin forward to tryin this stuff out and seein how quick I can get it lit when soaking wet wit a ferro rod

First time intentionally gathering Fatwood, didn't know how easy it was to find down here in region 2 here I was waitin to go to the interior to get a bunch. Lookin forward to tryin this stuff out and seein how quick I can get it lit when soaking wet wit a ferro rod

Interesting, let us know how well it works!

Almost got my 2nd wolf of the season....my son and I saw it at 9:30 in the morning on a FSR, couldn't believe it, big and long, it took off just before I got a shot off...we then waited, then followed it into the thick timber until we hit an opening, then tried to call it in...there was no wind...but we had no luck.

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

Also got a new Moocor fishing camera...pretty good overall for the $$.

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]