Page 33 of 101 FirstFirst ... 2331323334354383 ... LastLast

Thread: Random Outdoor Pics - Post them up!

Re: Random Outdoor Pics - Post them up!

Fishing: sometimes you learn that they just won't bite....

[IMG][/IMG]

Other times you'll catch big ones...

[IMG][/IMG]

And smaller tastier ones....

[IMG][/IMG]

Sometimes you'll catch & release:

[IMG][/IMG]

And sometimes you'll get your feet wet...

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

Pee break.............

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

Launched boat at Destruction Bay. Stayed at Congdon Provincial Campground.

Quote Originally Posted by BCHunterFSJ View Post
    Launched boat at Destruction Bay. Stayed at Congdon Provincial Campground.
    ya thats where we launched as well then crossed to camp/lodge on other side, well lodge was just being built then, dont no if
    it ever got completed. Also had a camp at end of lake by silver city.

Launched my latest canoe build a Rob Roy solo early last month. Favourite alpine lake up in the Monashees. There was still a lot of snow so I had to christen Das Boot in the creek downstream of the lake & rec site I usually put in. It's different from what I'm used to as one sits almost on the bottom & paddle with a double like a kayak. Quicker than my 16' Bob's Special but also more tippy & cramped haha. Just under 13' at 36 lbs it's 20 lbs lighter than the tandem, making it a cinch to throw up on the rack.

This was the end of the road to the rec site. Doesn't look all that bad but a quick probe with the front wheels pretty much confirmed I wasn't getting up that any farther.

A section of the FSR down to the creek was clear, so after a short portage to find a calm pool, I put in. Water levels were high & the creek was much swifter than later in the year. It paddled against the current quite well & I only had to get out once to drag it over logs. Still lots of snow, knee deep in the shade of the forest. No trouble getting up to the lake, but the water was very turbid from the melt run off. It's usually crystal clear.

Went up again on Canada day to get away from civilization & all the nonsense. Caught a few trout this time, they weren't interested last month.
    Last edited by mike31154; 07-11-2022 at 08:49 PM.

Great pics Mike, and great job on your canoe builds...

How many man hours go into one of those? They look sharp.

Quote Originally Posted by Bustercluck View Post
    How many man hours go into one of those? They look sharp.
    Sorry I don't have specific manhour number for you. I've built 3 now & on the 2nd I took a year break between, this current build was interrupted by winter too. My build area is a covered spot between my back door & carport, so I can really only work during the spring, summer, fall. So the best estimate would be my 1st build in 2005. I started in May & launched in October. There were some delays waiting for seats & a few other bits which could have been avoided had I planned better haha. If you use staples the build process goes quicker, but I chose to use cleats & clamps when gluing the strips. Makes for a cleaner look of the end product. The staples get pulled before fibreglass & epoxy go on, but the little holes remain visible.

The first thing you need to do is build a strong back to set the hull molds on. Then you need the cedar for the build. You can get it ready milled bead & cove or rip the boards your self & get the router bits for bead & cove. I purchased the plans years ago from Bear Mountain Boats. Plenty of good info on the materials & various designs on the web page. I also purchased the book Canoecraft authored by Ted Moores of Bear Mountain Boats.

https://www.bearmountainboats.ca/pages/getting-started

If you're on Facebook there's a group dedicated to Cedar Strip Canoe & Kayak building. It's a busy group with lots of info & new ideas.

Last edited by mike31154; 07-12-2022 at 01:28 PM.

Some pics from our latest outing.