Page 102 of 105 FirstFirst ... 25292100101102103104 ... LastLast
Results 1,011 to 1,020 of 1046

Thread: Random Outdoor Pics - Post them up!

Re: Random Outdoor Pics - Post them up!

Quote Originally Posted by HarryToolips View Post
    Interesting, let us know how well it works!
    Made a rookie mistake and that wasn't the real stuff, the next pics I will post here in a sec are authentic fatwood though and it works good. Will test it out soaking wet with just sparks in the next couple days here

Found a shed last year, and just found the other matching side to it other day pretty cool

Quote Originally Posted by TheObserver View Post
    Made a rookie mistake and that wasn't the real stuff, the next pics I will post here in a sec are authentic fatwood though and it works good. Will test it out soaking wet with just sparks in the next couple days here
    Nice . I'm always looking for fatwood when in the forest. Just the smell gets me exited
    I found a stump of fir fatwood while hiking last hunting season. I saved the waypoint and plan on returning this spring to cut a few rounds off it.

Quote Originally Posted by Ubertuber View Post
    Nice . I'm always looking for fatwood when in the forest. Just the smell gets me exited
    I found a stump of fir fatwood while hiking last hunting season. I saved the waypoint and plan on returning this spring to cut a few rounds off it.
    The smell is unreal! Spend more time smellin than cuttin lol. Gums up the saw too but worth it. Some of the best stuff I found was from old petrified stump of a dead fall that got rooted up out of the ground long ago, think it was ponderosa

The smell is unreal! Spend more time smellin than cuttin lol. Gums up the saw too but worth it. Some of the best stuff I found was from old petrified stump of a dead fall that got rooted up out of the ground long ago, think it was ponderosa
    Correct me if im wrong but i believe petrified wood will not burn its already mineralized mainly quartz and defiantly would have no bark basically it is fossilized no pitch no smell and a chainsaw will not cut it

Right on man....

Quote Originally Posted by stoneramhunter View Post
    Correct me if im wrong but i believe petrified wood will not burn its already mineralized mainly quartz and defiantly would have no bark basically it is fossilized no pitch no smell and a chainsaw will not cut it
    Petrified probably ain't the right word, but the resin in the fatwood apparently makes the wood last for hundreds of years, I guess after too much time maybe thats what turns into petrified wood is fatwood, it burns very well, fatwood is prized for fire starting even when soaking wet. But would not cook over it the smoke is black and apparently really carcinogenic, just really good for tinder and kindling, good for torches too and very good for extracting oil or tar which has many uses

Petrified probably ain't the right word, but the resin in the fatwood apparently makes the wood last for hundreds of years, I guess after too much time maybe thats what turns into petrified wood is fatwood, it burns very well, fatwood is prized for fire starting even when soaking wet. But would not cook over it the smoke is black and apparently really carcinogenic, just really good for tinder and kindling, good for torches too and very good for extracting oil or tar which has many uses
    yeah fatwood its awesome wood fantastic when you can get some. and your right i think the good stuff comes from pine trees. besides fatwood and bark from a birch tree who needs anything else lol

Quote Originally Posted by stoneramhunter View Post
    yeah fatwood its awesome wood fantastic when you can get some. and your right i think the good stuff comes from pine trees. besides fatwood and bark from a birch tree who needs anything else lol
    Birch bark is another great one! Also very good for extracting oil/tar, lot of uses with the birch trees