Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: wolf question...

Re: wolf question...

Quote Originally Posted by dracb View Post
    I have to call BS on the above. The appropriate clause from the synopsis states: "4. It is an offence to trap on private
    property without a trapping licence and the written permission of the property owner." And yes to my certain knowledge the COS does enforce that reg when the become aware of the code infraction. By the way, there is another clause to the effect that if one does not possess a valid trapping license it is an offence to snare with woven wire snares and another the requires a licence to use wire above a specific gauge.
    That doesn’t really say the landowner can’t trap his own land, anyways if that is what it means then my bad. Thank goodness I mentioned “Check Regs”

Quote Originally Posted by Wildlife Act
    Prohibition within a trapline
    41 a person commits an offence if the person sets a trap for, hunts, kills, takes or captures a fur bearing animal in an area of british columbia unless the person
    (a) is a registered holder of the trapline for that area,
    (b) has written permission of a registered holder of the trapline for that area,
    (c) is the owner or occupier of the land,
    (d) has written permission from the owner or occupier of the land, or
    (e) holds a permit to trap that is required by regulation.
    The "or" in the above list suggests you need only meet one of the listed criteria.

Good luck, hope you get someone to help you out. Would be cool to hear a follow up in a few months to see how it goes.

Quote Originally Posted by Yuritau View Post
    The "or" in the above list suggests you need only meet one of the listed criteria.
    On the otherhand here are a few more confining clauses:

"4 .It is an offence to trap unless you have

completed a Trapper Education Program

(TEP) approved by the Director of the

Wildlife and Habitat Branch. Approved TEP

courses include those obtained in British

Columbia since July 1, 1982; from Quebec

since July 1,1988; and from the Yukon,

Alberta and Ontario since July 1, 1989."

"4. It is an offence to trap on private

property without a trapping licence and the

written permission of the property owner."

"4. It is an offence to set a trap for, hunt,

kill, take or capture a furbearing animal in
    any area of the province unless you are

the registered holder of the trapline for

that area or are authorized by regulation

or permit."
    "The problems we face today are there because the people who work for a living are now outnumbered by those who vote for a living."

Quote Originally Posted by Husky7mm View Post
    That doesn’t really say the landowner can’t trap his own land, anyways if that is what it means then my bad. Thank goodness I mentioned “Check Regs”
    Sure, the owner can trap his private property in some cases should the owner have completed an approved trapper ed course and has a valid trapping licence for the area in question, the date is within the range of dates within which regulations permit trapping the target species, the trap set site is far enough from inhabited buildings and trapping is not otherwise prohibited by other statutes or regulations.

I learned some of this the hard way a while back when my evidentiary photos of coyote depredation included one of a a trap set by the land owner next to a sheep carcass. This photo led to immediate censure of the land owner by the COS.
    "The problems we face today are there because the people who work for a living are now outnumbered by those who vote for a living."

My buddy owns a section up red lake way .. totally legal to trap and or shoot any preds provided enough proof of danger to live stock provided. Yah right !!! Co don’t care to much about those things.

Licence to trap not required for private .. however one must keep the neighbours dogs in mind that’s why it’s probably best to hire a trapper to come on to the property. Stump lake ranch many years ago wouldn’t let me shoot coyotes because I was competing with the trapper. Which was fine that’s how he makes his living

Quote Originally Posted by Pauly View Post
    Licence to trap not required for private .. however one must keep the neighbours dogs in mind that’s why it’s probably best to hire a trapper to come on to the property. Stump lake ranch many years ago wouldn’t let me shoot coyotes because I was competing with the trapper. Which was fine that’s how he makes his living
    you can not legally trapp without being liscesned..

by the way you said trapping is mean! i offered to pay for your trappers course as you clearly love making predator highways. i was hoping you would drop some snares.

Lol this is fun let’s play some more

Unlawful to trap anywhere if you do not have a valid trappers license ...... and yes that includes private land.