Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: wolf question...

wolf question...

The land that I own is over run with wolves. Every winter I find at least one moose kill and the deer have just about disappeared completely.
    The local farmers all say the same thing. Apparently there are 5 dens along the river that borders on my land and they also use the frozen river as a travel corridor. Yes, I have tried hunting them for several years with no success.
    My question is: Is it possible/legal to hire a trapper to get rid of them? How would a person go about doing this?
    Thanks!

2. Site Sponsor

Re: wolf question...

Talk to area CO or maybe get ahold of the Bc cattleman’s association. They may know a trapper in the area

Get a hold of Steve proguide66 he might be able to deal with them
    "The budget should be balanced, the Treasury should be refilled, public debt should be reduced, the arrogance of officialdom should be tempered and controlled, and the assistance to foreign lands should be curtailed lest Rome become bankrupt. People must again learn to work, instead of living on public assistance." Cicero - 55 BC
    ..... The NDP approach: if the facts don't fit your ideology, just pretend the facts don't exist.......

Yes definitely talk to the area CO and he can put you in contact with the local trappers association contact or a specific wolf trapper.

Quote Originally Posted by BCHunterFSJ View Post
    The land that I own is over run with wolves. Every winter I find at least one moose kill and the deer have just about disappeared completely.
    The local farmers all say the same thing. Apparently there are 5 dens along the river that borders on my land and they also use the frozen river as a travel corridor. Yes, I have tried hunting them for several years with no success.
    My question is: Is it possible/legal to hire a trapper to get rid of them? How would a person go about doing this?
    Thanks!
    In the mean time you can trap them on your own land without a trappers licence. Just get some bait out. Easy enough to set snares, check into it. You may be able to snare them yr round on private land, consult the regs. You may be able to shoot them yr round on your land too. Check regs, we can in Alberta. Good luck, a good wolf is a dead one.

Apparently there are 5 dens along the river that borders on my land
    A local trapper might be interested, if you can help with more specifics for location. Likely the area is covered by a trapline permit already.
    Never say whoa in the middle of a mud hole

Quote Originally Posted by Husky7mm View Post
    In the mean time you can trap them on your own land without a trappers licence. Just get some bait out. Easy enough to set snares, check into it. You may be able to snare them yr round on private land, consult the regs. You may be able to shoot them yr round on your land too. Check regs, we can in Alberta. Good luck, a good wolf is a dead one.
    I have to call BS on the above. The appropriate clause from the synopsis states: "4. It is an offence to trap on private
    property without a trapping licence and the written permission of the property owner." And yes to my certain knowledge the COS does enforce that reg when the become aware of the code infraction. By the way, there is another clause to the effect that if one does not possess a valid trapping license it is an offence to snare with woven wire snares and another the requires a licence to use wire above a specific gauge.
    Last edited by dracb; 01-26-2020 at 02:02 PM.
    "The problems we face today are there because the people who work for a living are now outnumbered by those who vote for a living."

Check your PM

contact the BC trappers association, there's always trappers looking for more land to trap on

Thanks for the responses!