Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 2020 3D Shoots

2020 3D Shoots

Let me know if anything is incorrect or missing.

http://www3.telus.net/river_rat/3d-2020
    I have learned silence from the talkative, toleration from the intolerant, and kindness from the unkind; yet strange, I am ungrateful to those teachers.

2. Site Sponsor

Re: 2020 3D Shoots

Thank you ........

Thanks a bunch. Good to know where they all are

How does one get started with these events? Do I just show up, or is there somewhere I have to pre-register?
    I have never been to one, but would love to try it out one day. I would likely be only attending the lower mainland area events.
    Shooting compound bow, fixed pin sights, don't currently have the use of a rangefinder. Should I have a certain number of arrows going into the event?

Sorry for the mass of questions.

Pretty much all of them are, entry is in the mourning of the shoot, usually starts about 1 to two hours before the shoot starts. Plus most people get there in time to register and then fling a few at the practice range before heading out on the course. Plus it gives people time to get into small groups......and it if your there as a group of one it gives ya time to find a group to shoot with. Which is really easy......just mention that your new to the 3D scene at the practice range to several people and some one will get you into their group......I have never shot in the lower mainland but I cant see it being any different than the rest of the shooting universe. As for number of arrows......depends on how god you are when i started i needed about 6 to make a round (traditional and brand new at it) now I cant remember the last arrow I lost.....but Compounders are usually good with only a few arrows as their separation on the score board is usually measured in number of 11's so few misses of the targets......it too expensive to miss.

Quote Originally Posted by Taylor329 View Post
    How does one get started with these events? Do I just show up, or is there somewhere I have to pre-register?
    I have never been to one, but would love to try it out one day. I would likely be only attending the lower mainland area events.
    Shooting compound bow, fixed pin sights, don't currently have the use of a rangefinder. Should I have a certain number of arrows going into the event?

Just show up, apologize for being a noob and go shoot. People will be pretty helpful. Usually the trad shooters are more laid back and helpful. (Though I am biased being a trad shooter.) I usually carry 4 arrows on the bow quiver, but have more in the car. Expect to break or lose a few on the course. Also don't get hung up on the rangefinder, some shoots disallow their use. Shooting is pretty much a laid back affair. The biggest group is usually six, but I've run a course solo before. First arrow is usually around 8, but you can show up anytime before the last scorecard is sold. Though early is nice for the lack of crowd.

Also understand that the rivalry between compound (wheel-bow) and traditional (stick-bow) is purely for giggles. The compound shooters are usually gunning for the 10X and get pretty serious. The trad shooters are just happy to hit foam.

Burnaby shoots are muddy, bring gum-boots. Ridgedale & Abbotsford are hilly. Semiahmoo is literally a nice walk in the park. Mission is rough. All are fun. There will be some very cleverly staged shots that test your nerve and your skill.

So get out there.

Mike

Quote Originally Posted by TeamGrizzly View Post
    Just show up, apologize for being a noob and go shoot. People will be pretty helpful. Usually the trad shooters are more laid back and helpful. (Though I am biased being a trad shooter.) I usually carry 4 arrows on the bow quiver, but have more in the car. Expect to break or lose a few on the course. Also don't get hung up on the rangefinder, some shoots disallow their use. Shooting is pretty much a laid back affair. The biggest group is usually six, but I've run a course solo before. First arrow is usually around 8, but you can show up anytime before the last scorecard is sold. Though early is nice for the lack of crowd.

Also understand that the rivalry between compound (wheel-bow) and traditional (stick-bow) is purely for giggles. The compound shooters are usually gunning for the 10X and get pretty serious. The trad shooters are just happy to hit foam.

Burnaby shoots are muddy, bring gum-boots. Ridgedale & Abbotsford are hilly. Semiahmoo is literally a nice walk in the park. Mission is rough. All are fun. There will be some very cleverly staged shots that test your nerve and your skill.

So get out there.

Mike
    Mostly good natured! The trad police are the worst people in the game though.

Also, you're shooting with the wrong "trad" shooters..... 10's and 11's are not just for the wheels........oh, wait, you're in the LML

Quote Originally Posted by Taylor329 View Post

Let me know when you want to come out and my son and I will shoot a round with you...wish I had someone to show me the ropes when I got started lol, it's certainly not rocket science but I think the people that put them on get kind of used to the same old seasoned vets coming and don't always make the instructions very clear for the noobies. We should be at the burnaby lake mud bog on the 1st, if you want to shoot a round then just let me know, no pre-registration necessary and you don't need to get there at the crack of dawn or anything, just bring some cash for admission and your gear...and some gum boots, that field is like quicksand this time of year
    "You can learn more about hunting with a bow in a week than you could in a lifetime of gun hunting" - Fred Bear

Thanks for all the info on my last post with all the questions everyone! A lot of you have reached out to me and offered to join up for one or more of the shoots to show me the ropes and such. Goes to show what a great community we have here in archery!

Has anyone heard much about the shoots being cancelled due to the current virus situation? I would suspect most of them, if not all, have been postponed or cancelled. If you've heard any specifics, throw down a comment so we can all stay in the loop.

Cheers!

Penticton and Merrit have cancelled their shoots as far as I know. I believe Kamloops is still waiting to see what happens.
    BC4Bowhunter