Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: floating line quality

Re: floating line quality

I've used both. Varied luck with cheap ones. Some were quite good. I've had some lines for YEARS.

Go on Washington Fly Fishing and search for some good used lines. I buy stuff there all the time - including a couple of lines recently. After you find out what you like - then you can spend the $$ when you need a new one.

Hmmm I bought #5 weight , weight forward, Sharkskin flyline..scientific anglers ?..
    it was expensive..but casts well, floats high..easy to see..I would buy again..yes..along with Sage rod, sage reel..very sensitive well balanced pleasure to use..but expensive yes..
    Cheers
    Srupp

I was talking to the guys at M&Y last time i bought new lines(a couple of months ago) and they told me they have to charge more for the new high end lines because they last almost forever so they sell a lot less. You won't regret spending the money. I fish only rivers so do a lot of casting and a quality fly line makes a big difference, you can get a much tighter loop and therefore cast much better into the wind.
    'The bible says the end is coming soon, I hope I get my cabin built by then'
    Richard ‘Dick’ Proenekke

Quote Originally Posted by RDM View Post
    Looking for a new 5wt floating line. Price differences are huge.
    Educate me please

Am I really going to notice the difference?
    IMHO if you are fishing chronmids, leeches etc under and indicator then a less expensive line is all you will need. You are Not going to notice much diff when casting a 10-20 foot leader with an indicator. If you fish chronis etc "naked" (no indicator) or drys thats a different story. I have multiple reels (spools) lined with different quality ($$) lines for differnet uses. But if your looking to have a single floating line to use for all applications, spend more on it and you wont be disappointed