Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: floating line quality

floating line quality

Looking for a new 5wt floating line. Price differences are huge.
    Educate me please

Am I really going to notice the difference?

2. Site Sponsor

Re: floating line quality

Often wondered that myself, especially with some lines going for over $100 now. Nuts! I tried a cheap floater (can't remember where from). It smelled like the dollar store plastic, but seemed to cast just OK. Can't speak for it's longevity. I think they're OK for a basic line. The overpriced lines do seem to have a slicker finish.

Are you casting and presenting dry flies or are you trolling your fly?

short answer, Yes imo

long answer, it really depends on your style of fishing and skill level if you will benefit from it...the rod and the line are arguably the most important component of fly fishing...different action/power and line tapers for different techniques, like picking the right club on the golf course....in the right hands a guy can catch fish on whatever he has, but the right combination will be a better experience and maybe a few more fish, ie bombing streamers into a wind vs gently dropping dries

if you're just looking for a basic all purpose kinda line, I wouldn't bother going crazy on the line, the entry level stuff from SA and Rio will be plenty good
    Unfortunately, the rifles are getting lighter because we are getting heavier and more unfit as a society. This is the key to the mainstream acceptance of the short magnums. - Nathan Foster

Ive got quality gear ( Hatch,Ross,Sage rods)but just getting back into it serious again. Mostly lake fishing for trout. Chronis damsels ect. I dont troll much but a little between spots ect.

I know that if you've been fishing a Rio "Gold" or "Grand" and switch to a cheaper "Mainstream" , the latter will suck on a fast rod, distance casting. A new caster wouldn't notice. A "spoiled" caster would.

If you have a dedicated chronie rod and will use it just for indicator fishing you could get by with a cheap floater.

For drys I would drop a hun and get a nice Airflo ridge line or a Scientific Anglers textured Amplitude line. There is no feeling better than a new, high quality fly line rolling out in front of you. I always look for older lines in stores that have been passed over. You can pick up great lines for a big discount.

Aside from the rod the line is the second most important thing in making a good cast. ( forgetting the obvious Floav v Sink etc side ) The quality construction and material is HUGE in your cast. I can Feel the difference in my fingers between a good line and bad.. if you use a junk line your cast will suffer.....

Floating line will float higher a sinking line will sink more even......

this might be hard to explain,, but here goes....
    You are taking your arm and transferring energy from your shoulder into a rod. That rod carries that energy and transfers it through to the line, then the line transferes it to the leader and to the fly. If you use a rod that isn't your cast style that energy doesn't transfer,,,, if you use a shit line, it doesn't transfer ,,, it you use junk leaders that are too short.... the fly smashes the surface..... it is all physics........

That said,, do you need to cast a Sage? No.... is there a point to high end rods Damned straight there is......
    A fly line that is good will be under 100$ I use Scientific Anglers. I have for almost 30 years I'm brand stuck.... but I do not remember when I bought my last dry line.... they last a long time... like lets say you have it for 6 years.... that's 16$ a year.... to run a proper line that will help you.....

in close, don't cheap out on a line... unless all you do is troll..... you will be better for it

A high quality SA floating line will last longer, float higher, retain less memory and flow thru your guides easier. SA is hands down the best there is. Tapers, lengths and textures will vary for what your doing with line. I use a wf5f SA Amplitude Titan Long on my 5wt Scott for one of my chrony rigs, SA Mastery MPX wf6f on my 6wt Scott chrony rod. Double tapers are best for presentation but lack the ability to push thru wind. Heavier weight forward lines are good for pushing through the wind but wont have as much finesse as a double taper. A shorter taper all around line like the MPX works ok for both. Rod length, quality, design, flex type, use, budget and casting ability will play a roll in what line you want to get.
    Last edited by donny.brooke; 01-24-2020 at 02:24 PM.

I agree with the above. Buy the best you can afford. I use SA and Rio lines. I bought a CT cheap line once and it went in the garbage. Enjoy!!
    Stay between the ditches/I like my TRUCK
    Once you hit 50 you don't have to justify anything you want to buy!!