Page 10 of 13 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast

Thread: Winter whitetail

Re: Winter whitetail

Quote Originally Posted by LBM View Post
    Was going to mention the same thing, but it gets old listening to the responses from people that are not actually even out there and seeing what goes on.
    The same as in the predator thread Xlcc even mentions how hard it is for the ungulates in the deep snow yet he continues to skidoo all around breaking
    trails for the wolves, quit likely causing the death of more ungulates then he thinks he is saving by shooting a wolf, but all people see is how great it is
    that he shot a wolf.
    Humans are the biggest cause of the decline to our ungulate population.
    i agree with you

A buddy of mine was out and about today say 45 minutes from town , sent me a picture of 17 elk 3 were bulls they have shed but the pedicles were clearly visible. They have been their for a while now but he wasn’t sure if the F.N had wiped them out. Apparently not. Also of note a dead bull elk was discovered in the elephant hill fire. Undetermined death but more than likely the wolves. We were talking about elk sightings around the loops and have heard of sightings at squito lake, red lake, jaco lake and I have personally seen a cow and calf at the Roche lake turn off. The jacko lake sighting was legitimate it was spotted by the guys stocking the lake. The other two are just rumours. I have a picture of 3 bulls swimming across the Thompson river as well taken while salmon fishing in the fall. Hopefully this continues
    You can crap in one hand and wish in the other and see which one fills up first

Post up that pic! That would be cool to see!

I drove through lytton and saw 3 cow elk on the road in late October last year.

Then In Ashcroft I saw a bull elk standing in a farmers field. I pulled over and got my 300mm camera out and as soon as I got out of the vehicle he was on the move!

Quote Originally Posted by twoSevenO View Post
    Post up that pic! That would be cool to see!

I drove through lytton and saw 3 cow elk on the road in late October last year.

Then In Ashcroft I saw a bull elk standing in a farmers field. I pulled over and got my 300mm camera out and as soon as I got out of the vehicle he was on the move!
    I’ll see what I can do the picture is on my old phone along with a pile of others. Guess I should get on it . It was a cool picture just above the Prichard bridge they were all 6 points but of the rag horn variety not large by any means but nice to look at.

I know this a WT thread but the previous posts about elk showing up in reg 3 is good...I think they should open up a 6 pt or better season in reg 3 to put the fear of man into them this should ultimately help with less other elk being wiped out from the stewards of the land (not) FN's....

Back to WT I haven't hiked a heck of a lot this winter in the traditional WT areas where I see them but I do still think their numbers are down in some areas and stable in others, MD this year on the other hand from what I have seen are doing well...I hope they keep the 1 buck MD bag limit, should help with overall buck:doe ratios...

Quote Originally Posted by HarryToolips View Post
    I know this a WT thread but the previous posts about elk showing up in reg 3 is good...I think they should open up a 6 pt or better season in reg 3 to put the fear of man into them this should ultimately help with less other elk being wiped out from the stewards of the land (not) FN's....

Back to WT I haven't hiked a heck of a lot this winter in the traditional WT areas where I see them but I do still think their numbers are down in some areas and stable in others, MD this year on the other hand from what I have seen are doing well...I hope they keep the 1 buck MD bag limit, should help with overall buck:doe ratios...
    Bad idea lol us locals would shoot them all of in a day! One day though it would be nice to see a hunt able population. The more we burn the better odds for the good elk habitat. We’re kinda protective about the small herds we do have around here. The ranchers hate them and will shoot them no questions asked. They are the real reason introductions have never been made. I hate cows 🐄 lol

Quote Originally Posted by Pauly View Post
    Bad idea lol us locals would shoot them all of in a day! One day though it would be nice to see a hunt able population. The more we burn the better odds for the good elk habitat. We’re kinda protective about the small herds we do have around here. The ranchers hate them and will shoot them no questions asked. They are the real reason introductions have never been made. I hate cows 🐄 lol

I see no reason to run around their winter grounds trying to get an idea of their numbers. It's a good time of year to just leave them alone.

They are clueless to our presence! We’re experts lol

Pauly is right.
    Locals would drop the elk fairly quickly.
    You need a big enough population that even if hunter success was 50%, that there are still enough bulls to breed with the cows.
    But hell ya, it would be nice to have them in R3.
    The Kammy area is an awesome place I think to have elk roam.
    Would remind me of some of the country in Oregon where I saw videos of Larry D Jones and Wayne Carleton hunt.

But, as always, the ranchers would just hate it, and thus I doubt a huge established herd would happen.
    IF, we could change that, in many parts of BC for that matter, we might have much better game #'s of all species.
    Lets not forget, much of that land is prime winter range.

And then there is the issue of FN hunting all year round.
    If one day we could work out a system where there is some "accountability" for "all hunters", we might be able to have better #'s.

Lots of "IF's" that I doubt will ever be corrected.
    Definitely not in "my time"....if ever, the way I see it going with government, the FN privileges', and us just building on everything
    that can be built on, disregarding wildlife all the time for the future.