Page 9 of 13 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Winter whitetail

Re: Winter whitetail

Quote Originally Posted by RackStar View Post
    It’s legal to harvest cow moose,

is it right?
    To each there own . If its legal i cant go rip into someone because i think its wrong. Sure you could but were does that get a guy ? We can only voice those opinions to the powers in charge . Not that itll make a difference but we can try .
    "My biggest fear is that when I die, my wife sells all my hunting gear for what I told her I paid for it"

"Take your boy hunting, and you won't have to hunt for your boy".

"Ethical behavior is doing the right thing when no one else is watching- even when doing the wrong thing is legal.”

Personal ethics are what drives that . But for the record i am against harvest of females of any species. Again personal ethics . It may be legal but I chose not to.
    "My biggest fear is that when I die, my wife sells all my hunting gear for what I told her I paid for it"

"Ethical behavior is doing the right thing when no one else is watching- even when doing the wrong thing is legal.”

Yeah I’m not a fan of cow moose draw any more. We used to get them all the time back in the day. But there were actually lots of moose then so it wasn’t really a concern. The last cow draw I had 7 years ago I didn’t fill worked hard for ten days to find a moose and never did and neither did the other tag holders for that area 3-28 . Times have certainly changed and not for the better. Leave them alone I say but if someone gets a cow draw then hey I say good luck. Now I sure do like a tasty whitetail doe though.

Quote Originally Posted by Muliechaser View Post
    But for the record i am against harvest of females of any species. Again personal ethics .
    How about cougars, wolves, yotes and bears?

Anyone can have an opinion. That’s much easier than learning about the biology of a species such as whitetails. That is really tough for some people.

SSS
    https://oceola.ca/
    http://bcwf.net/index.php
    http://www.wildsheepsociety.net/

I Give my Heart to my Family....
    My Mind to my Work.......
    But My Soul Belongs to the Mountains.....

Quote Originally Posted by Stone Sheep Steve View Post

Anyone can have an opinion. That’s much easier than learning about the biology of a species such as whitetails. That is really tough for some people.

SSS
    Your right SSS .i should rephrase that...
    Species that our family eats . Currently we only hunt ungulates. I havent really gotten into predator hunting just no time to do it . Absolutly want to but have never dedicated time to do so . Even tho i am against harvest of female ungulates now ... i have dumped a few WT Does in my time . I know that WT are very resiliant. The numbers are stil good in my areas as they have always been . I just choose not to . EVEN tho they can handle the harvest. I wont shame anybody for taking a doe its not my place but i wont take anymore ... this year howeever .... my first born turns 10 .... different story .. its just a personal opinion that i wont push on others cuase its not my place .

Quote Originally Posted by Stone Sheep Steve View Post

SSS
    And your right for the most part about most people forming there own opinion based on nothing but there own thoughts and views and will remain steadfast on what they believe is right or wrong . I dont care if others harvest legal female ungulates . I cant stop them. If i chose not to thats my choice . Ya never know . Might have a hurting year and need to take a wt doe. In which case i would becuase i know they can handle it . ... these days it doesnt matter if your against something legal . Or chose not to take a legal female due to personal choice . Somebodys always going to pipe up and say your wrong one way or another becuase of THEIR opinion . Kind of like you have a big 4 and a 2 point next to eachother both are legal . No matter which choice you make somebody is going to pipe in and say why did you take the 2 point he needs to grow or why did you take the 4 point hes needed for breeding and your taking genetics out .

Quote Originally Posted by Muliechaser View Post
    And your right for the most part about most people forming there own opinion based on nothing but there own thoughts and views and will remain steadfast on what they believe is right or wrong . I dont care if others harvest legal female ungulates . I cant stop them. If i chose not to thats my choice . Ya never know . Might have a hurting year and need to take a wt doe. In which case i would becuase i know they can handle it . ... these days it doesnt matter if your against something legal . Or chose not to take a legal female due to personal choice . Somebodys always going to pipe up and say your wrong one way or another becuase of THEIR opinion . Kind of like you have a big 4 and a 2 point next to eachother both are legal . No matter which choice you make somebody is going to pipe in and say why did you take the 2 point he needs to grow or why did you take the 4 point hes needed for breeding and your taking genetics out .
    Good answer muliechaser!! It really is personal choice and yes there are always critics about everything posted on this site. Which is ok to a point. I certainly have my own opinions on what hunting is and should be .. according to my own likes I certainly wouldn’t say they are any more right than some other persons idea of hunting. Their are bear guys mule deer guys sheep guys ect it’s all good I say . Some people golf and dirt bike the point is to get out and enjoy. Do we have lots of land use issues and wild life issues. Boy do we ever!! I have my opinions no doubt but I don’t think I’m right about anything to tell the truth it’s more about my observations. Back in the day moose and deer were all over the place .. access was limited logging blocks were small .. habitat was intact. Of course all that has changed but as hunters we haven’t we all want opportunity yet are unwilling to loose some opportunity to preserve what’s left out there. I got a feeling if it keeps up we’re all going to be on the losing end unfortunately

Went for a tour over the weekend. Deer are looking to be in great shape.. some were looking rough though but to be expected one bright spot is I came across one pile of moose . Very nice to see hopefully it’s a trend that continues. Picked off two coyotes feeding on a carcass out on a lake. No other kills to speak of very little wolf sign. Some bucks still holding head gear. Time to get out for some sheds soon. Good snow pack this year drove all the deer down this winter so it will be easy pickings on the deer trails.

For the folks hating on the OP for sharing a few "secret" (i.e., no really that secret) whitetail locations around Kamloops - can you tell me where around Kamloops there aren't whitetails? Because I have found or seen them in virtually every direction. And I suspect the areas I haven't seen them, is just because I haven't seen them, not because they aren't there. He isn't giving anything away, but he is hopefully inspiring a few hunters to switch gears a bit and utilize this very prolific species!
    "The problem with internet quotes is it is very hard to determine their authenticity." --Abraham Lincoln

Went for an evening drive last night to burn off some cabin fever and to look at some mule deer on the winter range just took the binos and cruised a few roads. Spotted half a dozen mule deer one was a bruit body wise but couldn’t tell if it was a shed buck. Any how they are looking in fantastic shape. Nice coats and fat looking so that’s good. Looking forward to spring bear but we’re not there yet. Winter can go any time ... I’ve had enough lol
    You can crap in one hand and wish in the other and see which one fills up first