Thread: Best GPS with Satellite overview?

Best GPS with Satellite overview?

Looking to do more back country hunts next year, so I'd like to get an emergency receiver/gps.
    A friend has an InReach and the route tracking is awesome for scouting trips in the summer.

I take a USB battery bank along, so a few days battery life is plenty, and I definitely don't need 30+ days like some have.
    It would be handy to have a satellite overview without having to use my phone.

Any reviews of the Garmin GPS 66i around here?
    Looks like a sweet little unit with the BirdsEye satellite overlay, but I've heard Garmin hasn't updated their GUI much since I last used one 10 years ago.

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Best GPS with Satellite overview?

I used Garmin units for ages GPS map 60, 62st, 64st, In Reach Explorer+ , and Gramin 66i is their newest and is the best in my opinion, like having 2 units in one, works perfect, and u can use GPS alone without subscription. Each one is better than the previous but don't expect GUI to differ a lot.
    Where I walk, everything appears in grey...Loosen all hope, you who confronts me!

I have now switched to an inreach mini and a gps map app on my phone (both Gaia and Gramin). The mini is awesome, you can text out of cell range and it pairs with your iPhone and has its own mapping system / GPS on your phone that work out of cell range. Gaia gives me GPS on both topo and satellite images. I stopped carrying a big GPS device as I figured I usually have my phone anyway so why double up with weight and bulk.

Battery life on the Mini I believe is 50% of the larger...

Quote Originally Posted by SF2020 View Post
    I have now switched to an inreach mini and a gps map app on my phone (both Gaia and Gramin). The mini is awesome, you can text out of cell range and it pairs with your iPhone and has its own mapping system / GPS on your phone that work out of cell range. Gaia gives me GPS on both topo and satellite images. I stopped carrying a big GPS device as I figured I usually have my phone anyway so why double up with weight and bulk.
    I do this aswell. However this year I did have trouble with the Gaia app not showing my exact location. Worried me a bit if I didnt already know the area well. I have a mini but regret it. I should have just saved up and bought the new one with mapping and messaging

The mini battery has lasted me on a 4 day hunt with no charging... you have to make sure its settings are not live tracking and I bring a small power stick to top up either the phone or mini if they run low on longer hunts