Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 615I Mountain Goat LEH Winter Access

Re: 615I Mountain Goat LEH Winter Access

Quote Originally Posted by kitnayakwa77 View Post
    The West Kalum FSR is in the Coast Mtns District not Skeena Stikine. It is definitely not plowed. You are looking at around 20+ km off unplowed road before you reach your area. Crossing Kalum Lk or river in a boat may be an option but you will still be a ways away from where the goats are. Avalanche123 has good advice in his comment. I am not sure if snowmobiles are allowed in this area as I don't have the regs open in front of me.
    We had tossed around the idea of crossing the river, but we don't know if it usually freezes over in late Feb. This would cut travel distance down by more than 50%. Good advice coming from you guys, thanks. A sled is in the works but rentals are expensive and most buddies in PG have high-end mtn. sleds which I'm not prepared to potentially wreck and pay for. Like Avalanche said.. most likely will be a game time decision.

Quote Originally Posted by kitnayakwa77 View Post
    ... I am not sure if snowmobiles are allowed in this area as I don't have the regs open in front of me.
    I was discussing this last night with my dad. Sleds aren't allowed in 6-15 for hunting, but you can use them to aid in hunting.

How much experience do you have snow shoeing? What about winter experience in avalanche area? What about winter camping? I am supper adventurous and have my share fair of wilderness experience in all seasons but a winter goat hunt seems daunting to me. I am planning on doing one in the near future but I need to plan more, gain some more experience and make sure I have the right gear.

25+ km snowshoe with winter gear is hard core darn near impossible actually unless you are willing to spend a few days getting in. Snowshoes do not give you lots of float, I would be using MSR with tails added to help.

If you can find a SAFE way to cross lake or river that would be key. Even still 10 km of breaking trail and gaining elevation might be impossible.

Have you seen this video? https://journalofmountainhunting.com/toe-the-line/

It will give you a good idea of what you can expect.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimbob View Post
    How much experience do you have snow shoeing? What about winter experience in avalanche area? What about winter camping? I am supper adventurous and have my share fair of wilderness experience in all seasons but a winter goat hunt seems daunting to me. I am planning on doing one in the near future but I need to plan more, gain some more experience and make sure I have the right gear.

25+ km snowshoe with winter gear is hard core darn near impossible actually unless you are willing to spend a few days getting in. Snowshoes do not give you lots of float, I would be using MSR with tails added to help.

If you can find a SAFE way to cross lake or river that would be key. Even still 10 km of breaking trail and gaining elevation might be impossible.

Have you seen this video? https://journalofmountainhunting.com/toe-the-line/

It will give you a good idea of what you can expect.
    Yes that's a great video.
    As far as snowshoeing goes, a decent amount of winter alpine trips east of PG. I've got good MSR's with tails, tipi tent with stove, etc. gear wise I'm confident. Avy terrain I've got a basic understanding but you raise a good point as the terrain is super steep and looks to be full of avalanche chutes.
    If this trip happens I don't expect an amazing chance at harvesting a Billy, but it will be a good learning opportunity/gear test for future trips.

If you get in, I'm sure you'll see goats.

Quote Originally Posted by JSaw View Post
    Yes that's a great video.
    As far as snowshoeing goes, a decent amount of winter alpine trips east of PG. I've got good MSR's with tails, tipi tent with stove, etc. gear wise I'm confident. Avy terrain I've got a basic understanding but you raise a good point as the terrain is super steep and looks to be full of avalanche chutes.
    If this trip happens I don't expect an amazing chance at harvesting a Billy, but it will be a good learning opportunity/gear test for future trips.
    I would talk to someone experienced about avalanche safety and then go for it. If it just turns into a cool snowshoe trip and you never make it up to goat terrain then who cares, still a great trip.

VEHICLE RESTRICTIONS Snowmobiles for Hunting Closed Areas:
    ...The use of snowmobiles is permittedto transport wildlife, transport equipment,firearms or supplies or transport hunter toand from the location of wildlife in MUs6-4, 6-5, 6-6, 6-8, 6-9, 6-15 and 6-30 fromDec 16 to Mar 31 only.

You can use a snowmobile for transportation.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimbob View Post
    I would talk to someone experienced about avalanche safety and then go for it. If it just turns into a cool snowshoe trip and you never make it up to goat terrain then who cares, still a great trip.

VEHICLE RESTRICTIONS Snowmobiles for Hunting Closed Areas:
    ...The use of snowmobiles is permittedto transport wildlife, transport equipment,firearms or supplies or transport hunter toand from the location of wildlife in MUs6-4, 6-5, 6-6, 6-8, 6-9, 6-15 and 6-30 fromDec 16 to Mar 31 only.

You can use a snowmobile for transportation.
    Feel free to PM me.....I can offer some suggestions re: avalanche safety.
    A spiritual being trying to have a human experience

I have a good amount of experience ski touring & that is another good option to travel on snow besides snowshoes. A number of years ago I happened to have my ski touring gear with me on a hunt, I ended up higher than planned & the hunt turned into a short ski tour. There were no more deer up where I was!

However, if you've never done that & have to get the gear etc., your goat hunt is probably not the best time to learn! You'll most definitely want to engage is some training beforehand. Regardless what method you use to get around in avalanche terrain, including mechanized with sleds, you will need to have basic self rescue gear such as avalanche transceiver, probe & shovel. And know how to use it!

Some of the longer days I've done backcountry touring have been around 17 Km. That's guided, with packs carrying the essentials for the day such as lunch, rescue gear, extra clothing. No rifle or extra camping gear for a possible overnighter. Half that distance would be skiing downhill. Among other things, the guides earn their pay breaking trail so us paying customers have a nice packed track to follow. I have broken trail on my own & can tell you it's a hella lot more work!

The November deer hunt above Mabel Lake that turned into an afternoon ski tour. For chits & giggles I decided to shoulder the rifle along with the backpack I carried.

This one is in the Keefer Lake area of the Monashees. Not a hunt but a day tour with my skis. You can see the climbing skin attached to the bottom of one of the skis.

This one features some goats we were fortunate to catch a glimpse of while ski touring at a backcountry lodge in the Kimberley area. 2012.

Great photos, I used to spend quite a bit of time out in that area east of Vernon when I lived down there. Brings back memories! Ya as far as skinning in goes... don't have the gear for that yet but its on the long and expensive list of things to buy. We're kind of hoping to luck out with a good freeze before we go and minimal new snow to give it a nice hard layer on top. I've got a few buddies up here who are touring weekly this time of year so I can borrow some avy gear from them and some useful information.

Thanks avalanche i'll shoot you a PM.