Page 6 of 12 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: 2020 Hunting And Fishing Play by Play

Re: 2020 Hunting And Fishing Play by Play

Great stuff

love the pics

and the rolling commentaries......priceless

Great distraction from life as I currently know it

Got out of town at 5pm on July 31 and head north for opening weekend of goats. Had to meet up with a Co-worker in Quesnel. Got to Smithers around 2am. Slung the seat back and passed out for a couple hours. Slept in a little, but not too bad. Finished the rest of the drive in the twilight (team Edward). Caught a nice moose in the headlights and bumped a sow with 2 cubs not far from the trial head. The sow hit the woods, but I called the cubs within a couple yards of the truck. The sow gave a loud huff and cubs took off (video on instagram).

The trail was super luscious to start. The joys of me not living near there and cutting trail. Wasn't bad though. Was up to my glassing point by 8am and started glassing. Wasn't seeing anything so headed over to where I wanted to set up camp. There was a stash pack left up there last year with water treatment, fire paste, saw and a couple other goodies.

So I went to fire up some water for some mr. noodle... no lighter, no matches, no nothing. Looked for some chert or something to smash rocks together (should have taken that one companies offer to become a geologist... but I'm more into metal... shitty rock joke). I considered making a bow drill to get a fire going, but what little wood is up there isn't really dry. I totally forgot about the water bag trick. But I settled on the first night of burning my phone's battery to watch a movie I had downloaded on Netflix. I should also note that I went minimalist because it was only 2 sleeps... 3 at the most. I also thought I would be tough and skip packing bug spray... so here's my sleeping shelter.

Anyways, didn't see much on the mountain. Going to take Beeradimus up first week of September and see if we can get him a goatly.

here's the good parts. The weather was nice too!

It looks so simple and easy. Well it is relatively easy, but it's bigger than it looks. The pictures don't make it seem big, then you get to my lookout spot and it still doesn't look that big. Then you start travelling the country and you start to realize that it isn't small. In the last picture, looking from there to the other side is almost 2km out straight line.

This past weekend I headed out and set trail cams (non-cellular obviously) and cut some hay. Usually I hike down to a creek and then up the creek, then climb up on the ridge and hike along the ridge. Well... burdock went black knight and told me that none shall pass. I also realized my footwear may be inappropriate for my undertaking.

Wasn't my feet I should have been worried about. Only got stabbed in the foot a few times. Should have worn gloves though.

I did avoid the prickly plants and hooked off up the hill instead.

There was lots of berries around. However, I haven't been a fan of saskatoon berries in 25 years or so. I find them way too seedy and kind of dry. Give me some mountain blueberries any day.

I should probably pick some next year and make an actual reduction or jelly or something out of them instead of just eating them straight off the bush.

I did spend a lot of time smashing grouse food down my face hole.

some nice country up there!