New year/new decade... let's see how this pans out.

This year has started of cold, as everyone knows. Friday night was fighting my mother's furnace... guess you gotta service it a little more regularly than once every 6 years. So got that all fixed Saturday morning. Then my step nephew Brickles and my brother decided we were going on a road trip to Quesnel for the day. Then Brickles' brother Young Jakey came up Saturday afternoon from Kamloops. Well that means we were going ice fishing on Sunday.

So last November this happened

Quote Originally Posted by warnniklz View Post

Sunday we decided we may as well head out hunting anyways because that's what we came for. Headed up the Coquihalla into the snow... found a road that looked like it went up into some decent country. Not even a kilometer down the road, CV lets go... no more 4 wheel drive. We tried climbing the mountain, but it wasn't happening in 2 wheel drive. Short hunting trip and we got drive back to town in 2 wheel drive...
So turns out it wasn't the CV, but the transfer case is pooched. Apparently there's two types of transfer cases for a 97? tacoma. Electronic and J-Shift... needing the J-shift, they've been tough to find. So the go-to war wagon has been out of commish for a bit.

Sunday we had intentions of going to either "Dewar" or "Dugan" lake. We were about 2 or 3 kilometers from the turn off and the road was now longer plowed. We tried plowing through, but between champagne pow and lack of clearance, we weren't getting in to the lake. I was willing to make the 10km hike to the lake, but the other two weren't keeners.

We headed out and made our way to another lake. It's not a secret lake at all... so I've never fished it. Been there enjoying the outdoors by other means, just never with a fishing rod. But Young Jakey has always asked to go there, so we figured we'd may as well give it a go. Our uncle has spoken of this lake as well.

By the time we got there it was 12:30. We drilled some holes and got set-up. It was half hour before my brother seen a one pounder come swimming by his hole. Half hour later, we started thinking "maybe over by where people have been set up before might be better?" Plus we wouldn't risk losing a fish in the submerged trees.

Young Jakey clearing a spot

Thinking the fishermen before us knew something we didn't, we went and punched a new hole. We got set up and we were ready. Nothing. It was about an hour after that, we finally had a quarter pounder with cheese do a fly by of our hole. We didn't have much daylight left to work with. Another one moved it and started messing with my bait. He swam away with the hook and and did a couple head shakes. Went to set the hook and the fish just swam away. Missed him. Right after that my brother hooked into a fish.