Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: 2020 Hunting And Fishing Play by Play

Re: 2020 Hunting And Fishing Play by Play

A friend wanted to come and see what bear hunting was all about. So I took him and his 7 year old out. This one bear was on the cusp of being big enough for me... but not quite.

Showed them about 5 others bears but no shooters.

Jakeskins my step nephew kept wanting to load the boat up to go to a different lake to fish because he wanted to catch fish. I told him to get in the boat. We anchored up in one spot, gave him a couple pointers on casting and how to properly retrieve a damsel fly nymph. He ended up hooking into this 2.5 pounder.

He didn't want to go to the other lake after catching us lunch.

hey warren:

great pix; thanks for the journey

i'm in the office

not so nice.............

Took Jakeskins fishing the one day. We slowly drifted down to the far side of the lake. I caught some movement on the shoreline. Big black spot in a grassy opening. Figured it was worth further investigation. I pulled oars as hard as possible back to camp. 2 KM as the crow flies. Had some lunch and waited for C-Man to take off bear hunting. Then I grabbed my gear and rowed back to the other end of the lake. The bear was napping in the sun as I drifted into shore. I quietly beached the boat, hopped out. I laid half in the water to use the beach as a rest. I watched the bear get up and feed for an hour or so. In that time I even switched my safety off twice, once even resting my finger on the trigger. I ultimately decided he wasn't quite big enough and left the area. I'll probably kick my own ass for letting it walk. But headed back tomorrow with C-man to see if we can get him in on the bear. Possibly breaking his only shooting colour phase streak.

Been slacking on the bear hunting front lately. Now I'm in a little bit of a panic. Had last weekend, next weekend is my step sister's wedding and then I have the following weekend. So now I have to start being less picky.

Friday I got a call from a family friend wanting to head out bear hunting on Saturday. Wasn't very hard to agree on a spot to go, considering I had intended going out there anyways. On top of that I haven't hunted that spot since... well 5 or 6 years. Kind of stopped hunting the area when others started bear hunting with me. I asked what time we should meet up. He got his hackles up and said "it's not deer hunting, we don't need to be up zero dark thirty. I wan't to sleep in". So I again asked "what time do you want to head out?" His reply was "Eight should be good"

I was thinking... ten... noon... ish. But 8 was fine considering the sunlight smashes me in the face at 5:30 these days.

We spent most of the day without seeing a whole lot of nothing. The area sure has grown up over the last half decade. But we did see a sow with triplets and a decent boar on private property.

This sow sent her cubs waaaaay up a tree and wanted to fight. But when you're hiding behind a truck, we both kept our distance.

OH ALMOST FORGOT

We ran into a conservation officer. He was very professional and pleasant to deal with. I had buddy's 12 year old squirming a little. I told him that "the first time you have to deal with a C.O. you get a one time $150 initiation ticket"

The C.O. was real cool and walked the young gun through the process of interacting with a conservation officer.
    Last edited by warnniklz; 06-15-2020 at 09:29 AM.