Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: 2020 Hunting And Fishing Play by Play

Re: 2020 Hunting And Fishing Play by Play

B-Rad made short work on his fish without any help.

Here's a picture I took of Bond taking a picture of B-Rad

And here's Bond's picture of B-Rad

I'm not sure if B-Rad caught his fish sequentially or if Hack caught one in between. Here's Hack's fish [photo by Bond]

And Bradry's other fish that I had to squeeze in on as I wanted a picture of myself with one fish at least...

The group of us ended up killing 4 fish that day. I'm not sure of the weights as my scale was still reading all over the map. But you can see the line just in front of my reel seat, from that line to the tip of my rod is 50cm.

I'm still not sold on the lake yet, even though B-Rad loves it. He complains about how much money he has to spend on fuel to get out there, but... there's gotta be lakes closer to his place with bigger fish. That are edible. Yeah Dragon Lake is close, but yeah...

There's fishing derbies popping up everywhere, but me and B-Rad are going to give the Sheridan Lake derby a go next weekend. I've never ice fished it, only soft water, so should be fun to have a neutral lake for both of us to ice fish.

Note: This past weekend I was informed that it had not been over a calendar year since I've caught my last fish while ice fishing. I did catch one a the end of January on Douchie Lake. However it has now been longer now.

This past Saturday was the Sheridan lake ice fishing derby. I've never ice fished Sheridan, only ever soft watered it. None the less. I can't remember the last time I was in an ice fishing derby that wasn't informal among friends. Maybe I never have.

Anyway, Beer-Radimus showed up at about 9:30 Friday night. After some other people bailed on us for various reasons, it was myself, Beer-Rad and his buddy... D-Mit would be heading out Saturday morning. Our plan was to be out the door at 5:30 am to be at the lake for 7. Beer-Rad blames me for being late (I forgot to plug my phone in and it died) and I blame Beer-Rad for being late (he took forever to deal with his shit). We made it out onto the ice at 7:30... so not too late.

Beer-Rad was doing some e-scouting on the lake and sending me all these different pins on spots he wanted to fish. My plan was kind of based on fishing sockeye on the Fraser. Find where everyone is fishing, then stand on buddy's shoelaces and then LOW HOLE THE FUC... I mean it was a fishing derby. We could fish where everyone else was fishing because it probably was the good spot. Or we could split from the crowd and find our own spot. We kind of split the difference. Beer-Rad realized that the pins he was checking out, without a quad or sled, we wouldn't make it to those spots.

We had a few bumps early on. Had a variety of bait going on. Beer-Rad was running his cotton candy pink shrimp with anise and feta juice. D-Mit was running some shrimp scampi on a pink jig head and I went traditional with a whole raw white prawn. I was in it to win.

It wasn't really cold, but it sure was windy. We never did hook in to any fish, but now I feel I gotta learn how to ice fish it properly. Doesn't take much longer going there over super secret "Dugan" lake and not as hard on the vehicle.

D-Mit and Beer-Radimus loving ice fishings in quees-becs

Since there's some shit fires burning on other threads... time for an update.

Friday night I stumbled upon some Pro Cure (Steelie Pink... or part# PC-O12) I had left over from slammin' salmon season. So I played around with dying up some shrimp and prawns. Prawns didn't take colour as well, may have to try the brine method instead of my usual "just sprinkle it on" method.

With bait all dyed up... well we can't let it go to waste. So Saturday morning I grabbed my brother and we headed ice fishing. I though with the warmer weather, we should be able to make it to "Dugan" lake. That turns out to be a hard no without sleds. The farmer has the road pretty much blocked off. Maybe next month I'll be able to get in.

We spun around and had to think of where to go. All the lakes were past the blockade. We could go to the swamp ass lake that my brother and Jakey caught some trout, or we could go to a cow pooh lake. The cow pooh lake has some big ass trout in it, but they aren't worth eating. But we decided to go there for some catch and release action.

On the way over, there was a pack of wolves running the road. The tracks were a day or two old

'Twas a nice day out

We finally got to cow pooh lake. There was some sign of other guys fishing. No signs of blood, but the holes were pretty frozen over.

We fished just near the parking spot for a couple hours, thinking with it being so small that we should at least see something. But after a couple hours of nothing, my brother went for a wander. He drilled a hole and then came back over to me. He handed me his phone and told me to hit play. I thought it was a video someone had sent him, but nope... he took it. Drilled right into a whole ozzyozbillion of freshwater shrimp. We moved over there and fishing in the bait ball for another couple hours without even a sniff.

I don't know with this many shrimp in one spot, if the fish are too picky to bite, not hungry or if there's that many shrimp because there's no fish?

Winter kill is my first guess. Is the lake about twenty five minutes away from the town you live in and about 1km north of a major highway? Then about 200 metres east of a maintained road?

Nice Fish!
    Just by happenstance l have a Toyota Tacoma transfer case J-shift pattern out of a ‘96 in good shape that is for sale if you’re still in need of one, but l live in the lower mainland so if you’re coming down here give me a shout

Quote Originally Posted by blackbart View Post
    Winter kill is my first guess. Is the lake about twenty five minutes away from the town you live in and about 1km north of a major highway? Then about 200 metres east of a maintained road?
    Yup yup yup... like I said, not so secret. Winter kill was my brothers guess too. So much shrimp and nothing eating them.

Well spent 3 weeks in the bush. Only coming in to town twice to refuel and deal with a bear. I'll just do mostly pictures with a few captions.

Buddy's tundy all loaded up... somehow got my brother's boat on top. His new dog ended up pooping in the truck on the way out...

Buddy invested in a camp table... something we've never had but was super handy.