Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: 2020 Hunting And Fishing Play by Play

Re: 2020 Hunting And Fishing Play by Play

After dinner Saturday night, I got home late. So Sunday morning I decided to head out solo to a not so secret spot. Haven't hunted bears in the area for several years. I think I half assed hunted it 3 or 4 years ago. But mostly just headed out fishing/getting a load of firewood. So not so secret... Had a vehicle headed out every 3 kilometres or so. Seen some sign on a busy road, which is a good sign considering how much traffic there was. Finally I found a road I could head off on. It was a newer road... not even on google earth. Had a lot of country to overlook, but seen some logging equipment just over the ridge. So I left the area alone.

Headed to check out a lake I like to fish. Reminded me that I should probably take B-Rad in here. I think it's the right balance of decent enough sized fish for him and frequent enough.

Went and hunted beyond the lake because most of the heavy traffic ended there. I had seen mule deer (some ok bucks), a young bull and cow moose together which I thought was odd... but no bears. It wasn't until 1ish I had a nice cinnamon bear cross the road just 50 yards in front of me. Paused for a moment but not quite long enough for me to react. I figured if that bear was scared, there would be bigger bears around anyways. So I carried on for another couple kilometres and spotted this guy.

I lined up and hummed and hawed if I wanted him. Getting to the nitty gritty and I think I have 2 packs of bear stew meat left... but I let him walk and just watched him for a bit. Did some more exploring and spotted this guy
    Last edited by warnniklz; 06-15-2020 at 10:04 AM.

He was too small for me. Even if it was closing hours. I'm starting to think that I may think every bear is a small bear. I may be setting my bear standards too high. To be fair.

To be fair, I kind of want a black bear that makes a Kodiak feel small. But I digress.

I went to go check out another spot that I thought "last time I was there, it was pretty overgrown" but there's a logging company in there now. So should be even better in a couple years. I did find a little wagon trail that hooked off. Got to the top of the hill and though I saw a cow. Was no cow. Oh shit! There's the bear I want. It wandered down the hill into the thick bush. I figured it was headed down the hill to the open meadow below. If it was headed there, it would have to come across a 200 yard stretch of straight road. So I head down and went to go find a spot to watch.

Get set up in a swampy meadow, in wait with the mosquitoes and then some couple come cruising around the corner on a Sunday drive. The stop and talk to me not so quietly. Asked if I was out bear hunting and proceeded to tell me their friend had been chasing a big ass bear around the area. They were friendly and proceeded on their drive.

I wandered back to the truck and ate my sandwich looking at the road. Seen one other small small bear and headed out. On the drive out I looked out into the field and thought "cow elk". Drove another hundred yards or so and locked up the brakes and did a u-turn. "A cow elk!?"

I knew they are in the area. I've had people send me pictures of them in this area and I know people that live in the area talking about how they have heard them bugling. But this is the first time I've seen them with my own eyes.

1st... I think I'll have to start using somewhere else to host photos... They use to last a lot longer than 2 weeks...

Anyways, between weddings and whatnot, I haven't been able to get out. Now I'm getting desperate.

I figured I'd head out to Mr. Rancher's place last weekend. Haven't hunted out there in a few years now... probably about 8 now.

Was going to head out Friday night, but after baseball and getting gear together, I held off. So up at 5 am on Saturday and I was off. Noticed some spilled dip in the cup holder. Should have known that was a bad omen...

Made the drive out in the pouring rain, but just as I got to Mr. Rancher's turn off it was clear skies. Although I got about 36 km up the road and ran into this.

I toodled around some other spots that weren't ideal, but I jeepers... the fires hammered the area pretty good and had roads pushed every which way... that were mostly washed out.

By noon I wasn't seeing sign and was kind of out of areas to hunt. So I pulled out and headed back roads to pick up trail cams.

Along the way I spotted something on the road. First didn't think about it too much and immediately stopped after I realized what it was. I walked back and found this...

Didn't even smell. It wasn't a small bear either. That paw is 5" (give or take a brown hair) wide. I have my theories, but I'll never know what actually did happen.

Got to my first trail cam... Wasn't on the tree anymore. It was about 20 feet away pointing straight up at the sky.

My second camera was on a busier road. Most of the traffic going by, people were looking the other direction. But I would like to thank these folks for not stealing my camera...

2 days too late...

Plus a couple others

Was a long Saturday without seeing a bear. Seen 1 deer. WOW. So Sunday was a little tough to get motivated. Did a long loop to hunt an area I haven't hunted in 11 years. Took me a little bit, but finally spotted my first bear.

Sorry for the shitty picture... I felt my hand itching towards the rifle, but even in desperation, it was too small.

I carried on and it was getting later, on the way out I did come across this little guy. 30 yards and once again... still too small

Seen a few deer, but my spring bear season is basically done. I may get out tomorrow if it turns out to be a half days work. I dunno.

One of Ruppster's deer... has a dangly bit off the base of his right antler...

My theory on my bear hunting area this year.

1 - it was kind of a late spring. Haven't had a whole lot of hot weather. Everything seemed to green up at the same time, so bears weren't really forced onto the road.

2 - Tree planters were bombing all over the countryside keeping the bears off the road

3 - lots of people out in general with everything being shut down and having extra time off

4 - Even though I spent a lot of time out camping in May, I didn't hunt bears as hard because I wasn't as desperate due to the amount of time off I had.

5 - Me saying "I'm not going to be so damn picky with bears this spring" is like my dad saying "I'm going to get back into hunting spring bears"... it's all lies.

Thanks for the photos, some nice country in your back yard!
    I like drinking beer and whiskey, shooting guns, jetboating, love a nice rack and a tight line, I am simply a sophisticated redneck...