Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Tell me about the Kifaru Tipi

Re: Tell me about the Kifaru Tipi

Ground stays dry in the Rain and Snow. If the ground is very wet or frozen when u set up it thaws and or is wet. In the Cimmaron this is a bit of a pain but I'm a neat freak. I haven't used my Cimmaron for Backpacking, but I can have my entire camp and go home with a Deer in my Sidekick.

I stayed in a lite outdoors this year, the square design made the inside space more usable that the regular round tipis for sure

Quote Originally Posted by RackStar View Post
    Dana...

do you add tarps to sleep on? Or bivy sac? Does the ground stay dry inside the tipi during rain?

interested in tipis also, I’m taking a plunge into a tipi or wall tent myself. Wood heat is becoming a must.
    I throw down just the sleeping pads if the ground is already dry pre setup. A ground sheet under the sleeping pads if ground was wet. Been my intent to take a old tent fly and cut a circle in the middle for the stove but been too lazy to do this thus far. Fir bows make a good layer for the sleeping pads to lay on as well. As for water coming in, all depends on your choice of setup location. Just like any tenting, setup location needs to be well thought out. When quick and dirty, you may have to dig a trench away from the tent in the middle of night when you find a stream flowing through the bottom of the tent.

I use Tyvek Sheets cut just a little larger than my Sleeping Pad.
    I'm looking forward to dayz off, gonna try to do an overnight trip camping in the Snow.
    Gonna make up some Snow Pegs.

I picked up an 8 man Kifaru this year and really like it. Enough room for 4 people and a dog. Put liners in and it cuts down the room but makes it warmer and no condensation thus far. Between two people tent, stove and liner takes no more weight than two tents.

I backpack with a Golite Hex 3 tipi and a Seekoutside Eolus. Lightweight floorless shelters work great for me.

I want to purchase a Seekoutside Redcliff for family trips and for a big basecamp when hunting.

I have no experience with Kifaru but I recently purchased a Seekoutside 4 man tipi after doing endless research to find something to suit my needs. During my readings I found that many guys run the Seekoutside Redcliff as per the uses you have described. I highly recommend checking it out. It is a hybrid tipi/tent so you don't lose as much volume as you would with a true rounded tipi. Although that is also extra volume to heat up. Seek was great to deal with and proved to be very helpful, one fellow even texted me pics from her personal phone as I was unable to find pics of the compressed pack size of a tipi. Lots of info of Rokslide.

I've got the Sawtooth, Supertarp, Sheep Tarp, 6, 8, and a 12 man coming. In BC a liner is a must, trust me. The 8 man is nice for 2 people, ample room for gear, cot ,etc. The titanium stove is sweet, and make sure to take some of those enviro logs (presto logs) to burn. Don't use a whole one or you will cook. 1/4 log with some wood and it will burn a solid hour. They are also nice for a quick morning burn before heading out. Floors shelters take some time to adjust to, but once you do you won't go back. My 8 man is up in 5 min with the stove, a little quicker than a wall tent. PM me if you have any questions, have ran Kifaru 14 years now.

Pomoly MANTA's are great camping teepee tent. I've used it several times now and actually prefer it over my 500$ tent. Loads of space. Took awhile to get the pitch perfect but we'll worth it. Only upgrade I'd suggest is the inner needs some support to open up the bath tub and tighten the mesh.
    Last edited by Derekmson; 01-26-2024 at 06:28 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by butcher View Post
    Thanks for the feedback. I’m primarily wanting to use it for fly in hunts and early elk as a base camp. I want to cut back on bulk a bit. Was hoping an 8 man would be a good two man camp. I was also thinking of using a diesel heater, so if anyone has experience with that I’d love to hear.
    I do lots of fly ins. Depends on time of year whether I bring the wall tent or not, and it also depends how your going in. If weight is not the issue for the plane then I bring the wall tent. I always bring a boat with me on the fly ins but you can get the boat and the wall tent with 2 guys, you can't with 3. If you elk hunting and base camp is where your truck is, wall tent all the way. You can't beat it. Tipi is nice to have but your not on a cot your on an air mattress, you don't have the same heat retention, you have condensation to deal with...they serve different purposes.

As for diesel heater, well it saves you getting wood. Ive heard nothing but good things, I just question at what temps will they keep up with. I doubt they will work in -25 but 0 probably perfect setup. Jerry cans are a pain in the ass though to bring on a fly in bc they take up a lot of space and you can only put 1 or 2 in each float and diesel is heavy so it cuts into your load
    WSSBC Monarch
    WSF Life Member
    2% Certified
    RMGA Member
    CCFR Member