Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Tell me about the Kifaru Tipi

Tell me about the Kifaru Tipi

Is it worth the cost? Is there something better? I’m thinking about switching from a wall tent to the 8 man tipi.

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Tell me about the Kifaru Tipi

I don’t think that’s comparing apples to apples. They serve 2 different purposes to me. I e used the tipi for short trips,backpacking, rafting and where weight is the issue. You can’t beat the wall tent for inside space,stove size and heat or comfort. Unless you’re going to use it to save weight and space on fly ins or boat trips,the tipi is good for short trips where you don’t want to break out the wall tent. Anytime you’re not mobile or don’t care about the weight, wall tent all the way.

Really depends what you're looking for. The tipi is cold as soon as the fire goes out. I bought a 6" to 4" stove pipe reducer and use a bigger wood stove in the tipi now and it serves the same purpose as a wall tent...just much less room.

Like others have already replied, Tipis are somewhat different.
    I run a much smaller Seek Outside Cimarron.
    Like said, it's Cold as soon as the Stove is out.
    I run the XL Stove and get approximately 1hr burn time.
    Let me know if you have any more questions.

Either way, check out Seek Outside, great company!
    They had some features that Kifaru did not, such as Sod Skirt and Zipper Cover.

Thanks for the feedback. I’m primarily wanting to use it for fly in hunts and early elk as a base camp. I want to cut back on bulk a bit. Was hoping an 8 man would be a good two man camp. I was also thinking of using a diesel heater, so if anyone has experience with that I’d love to hear.

In cold damp snowy weather your Tipi tent will have a condensation issues unless it has a real good inner liner and good long burning heater .
    "The budget should be balanced, the Treasury should be refilled, public debt should be reduced, the arrogance of officialdom should be tempered and controlled, and the assistance to foreign lands should be curtailed lest Rome become bankrupt. People must again learn to work, instead of living on public assistance." Cicero - 55 BC
    ..... The NDP approach: if the facts don't fit your ideology, just pretend the facts don't exist.......

Quote Originally Posted by 358mag View Post
    In cold damp snowy weather your Tipi tent will have a condensation issues unless it has a real good inner liner and good long burning heater .
    Exactly why I want to go with the diesel heater.

Have had the Kifaru 12 man for 15 yrs now, and if you do get this style of tent, absolutely get the liner .
    When it's warm out condensation is not a problem, but when the temps drop, then it's areal problem.
    I don't have the liner option, sure wish I did though...
    Trudeau is a Neya Noonan Utim Tugeye

Excellent. Thank you. Otherwise how is it?

I have had the 6 man Kifaru for over a dozen years now. The wall tent has seen very little action since I made that purchase. It is a change in style and it took a while to get used to but the ease of set up and lightness won out on the wall tent. Yes, condensation happens, fire up the stove and everything is dry again in a matter of minutes. Finding a good set up location is a must but the same is true with a wall tent.