Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: The case for leaving dew claws intact

Re: The case for leaving dew claws intact

So I have seen a dewclaw ripped from it's bed and 1/2 way up it's leg on my lab while hunting Ptarmigan when I lived in Cassiar. The snow had a crust he was able to run on but he broke through catching his dewclaw. I personally will not leave dewclaws on a dog front or back. Most back DCs are not attached with bone and are just flopping around waiting to rip so at the very least they need to go. JMHO. As far as Tracy's pups go, I believe that her decisions to remove or not comes from the fact she is a vet and bound by their association rules and they have mandated no tail docking or dewclaw removal. Again JMHO, not speking for her.
    "BORN TO HUNT"
    Foxton's Cuervo Gold "KEELA" Oct. 2004-June 2017. Always in my blind and my heart.

Our vet recommended leaving the large dewclaws on our hound. Its not much different than an amputation.

Done as pups at 3 days it is MUCH different than an amputation. Quick snip, wrap of tape and they are back sucking without a care in the world. Quite a few vets are just parroting the Vet Assoc. policy not their own beliefs. Vets where their hands are not tied will give you a whole different story.
    "BORN TO HUNT"
    Foxton's Cuervo Gold "KEELA" Oct. 2004-June 2017. Always in my blind and my heart.

I have stubbed my toe an awful lot over the years. Even broke them a few times. Sure wish I could have had it amputated at a few days old.

It is important to realize this discussion is about FRONT dewclaws, not back. Many dogs are born without rear dewclaws; some breeds double rear dewclaws are in the breed standard. The rear dewclaws typically do not offer support; most of them are just loose in the skin. Front dewclaws, as pointed out here, do have a function.
    As long as owners keep the nail trimmed front dewclaw injuries are rare. Hind dewclaw injuries are more common; partly because they just flop around and also because the hind legs move closer together than the front causing them to catch on each other.
    When clients ask for my opinion I do not recommend removing front dewclaws, but some superstitions are persistent...

For those interested in the science behind it (emphasis added by me):

A survey of risk factors for digit injuries among dogs training and competing in agility events.
    Language: English
    J Am Vet Med Assoc. January 2018;252(1):75-83.
    Debra C Sellon, Katherine Martucci, John R Wenz, Denis J Marcellin-Little, Michelle Powers, Kimberley L Cullen

Article Abstract

OBJECTIVE To identify potential risk factors for digit injuries in dogs training and competing in agility events. DESIGN Internet-based, retrospective, cross-sectional survey. ANIMALS 1,081 dogs training or competing in agility events. PROCEDURES Data were collected for eligible animals via retrospective surveys distributed electronically to handlers of dogs participating in agility-related activities. Variables evaluated included demographic (handlers) and signalment (dogs) information, physical characteristics of dogs, and injury characteristics. A separate survey of dogs competing in similar agility-related activities but without digit injuries was also administered. Multivariable logistic regression was used to develop a model for assessment of risk factors. RESULTS Data were collected from 207 agility dogs with digit injuries and 874 agility dogs without digit injuries. Factors associated with significantly increased odds of injury included Border Collie breed (OR, 2.3; 95% confidence interval [CI], 1.5 to 3.3), long nails (OR, 2.4; 95% CI, 1.3 to 4.5), absence of front dewclaws (OR, 1.9; 95% CI, 1.3 to 2.6), and greater weight-to-height ratio (OR, 1.5; 95% CI, 1.1 to 2.0). Odds of injury decreased with increasing age of the dog (OR, 0.8; 95% CI, 0.76 to 0.86). CONCLUSIONS AND CLINICAL RELEVANCE Results should be cautiously interpreted because of potential respondent and recall bias and lack of review of medical records. Nevertheless, results suggested that retaining healthy dewclaws, maintaining lean body mass, and trimming nails short for training and competition may decrease the likelihood of digit injuries. Research to investigate training practices, obstacle construction specifcations, and surface considerations for dogs competing in agility activities is indicated.

Quote Originally Posted by Stresd View Post
    I have stubbed my toe an awful lot over the years. Even broke them a few times. Sure wish I could have had it amputated at a few days old.

For toes it's never too late.
    1. Human over population
    2. Government burden and overreach

Dogs that break through the ice have an extremely difficult time getting back out on their own, if they can at all. The icy cold water takes such a toll on them after a prolonged period of time, plus they panic so much that they usually can't complete the task.

Here is a very informative video showing how bird dosg use their dew claws to get out of broken ice in deeper water. Well worth the watch!

https://youtu.be/r4XflsMEk-k
    Last edited by mastercaster; 01-19-2020 at 10:24 AM.

Rosie has most of her dew claws removed.... She has a deformed one on her right front paw that didnt get cut right. DOesnt seem to hurt her but if i touch it she licks my hand the whole time so that says something.

New pup has all hers. I think there is a pretty big shift going on and it will be rare to see them removed now a days .

Lorne
    Quote Originally Posted by Bear Brawler View Post
    Just lob a couple loaded mouse traps at em like you're playing horse shoes. More humane than bouncing darts off them.

That is from not getting the entire nail bed Lorne. I make sure to grab the nail and pull the whole dewclaw out as far as I can then I use curved scissors curve down to make sure to get the entire bed. Can't recall ever have one grow back. I'll still be removing them as long as I breed.
    "BORN TO HUNT"