Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: The case for leaving dew claws intact

The case for leaving dew claws intact

Below is a discussion on the subject of dew claw removal that was posted by a very well respected Veterinarian on another site.

This discussion pertains to "competition and performance" dogs who endure a lot more physical stress than your average hunting dog.

Ive always had dew claws removed on any dog I've owned or bred. If I didn't trust and respect the source of this "new" information I would continue removing dew claws. Now....I'm not so sure.

https://www.retrievertraining.net/fo...e-for-Dewclaws
    "Guns kill people like spoons made Rosie O'Donel fat"

2. Site Sponsor

Re: The case for leaving dew claws intact

Thanks for sharing. Good read.

Admittedly, this is new info to me and my pup still has her dew claws. It was never recommended as even being an option?

Interesting read for sure. I've never had dew claws removed but I know lots of folks who give good reasons for doing so.

I've never removed the dew claws of my dogs, though I have at times thought about it. After reading the vets thoughts and experiences. I am glad that I never did. Thanks for posting!

Quote Originally Posted by Ron.C View Post
    Thanks for sharing. Good read.

Admittedly, this is new info to me and my pup still has her dew claws. It was never recommended as even being an option?
    Dew claws are usually removed in puppies at 2 or 3 days of age by most people who breed dogs.

Your breeder, Tracy, is also a Veterinarian who is an ethical and conscientious person who keeps up to date on these things. If shes not removing them I think it speaks volumes.
    "Guns kill people like spoons made Rosie O'Donel fat"

Quote Originally Posted by labguy View Post
    Below is a discussion on the subject of dew claw removal that was posted by a very well respected Veterinarian on another site.

This discussion pertains to "competition and performance" dogs who endure a lot more physical stress than your average hunting dog.

Ive always had dew claws removed on any dog I've owned or bred. If I didn't trust and respect the source of this "new" information I would continue removing dew claws. Now....I'm not so sure.

https://www.retrievertraining.net/fo...e-for-Dewclaws
    Was questioning this myself on our next litter!
    NMH GMH GMHR-V HRCH-UH Dakota Creek's Royal Navigator MH (AKC & CKC)
    GHRCH-UH MHR-I Dakota Creek's Royal Gem MH
    MHR HRCH-UH WR Dakota Creek's Wreaking Havoc MH
    WR SR-UH Dakota Creek's Cute As A Bug JH WC
    SHR Dakota Creek’s Mirror Image JH

The problem with leaving dewclaws is just injury I think.
    My pup had them removed and the way it was explained to me is that dogs who are active can often break the dewclaw and cause greater problems later.
    They rub on things, hook on things etc.
    For city dogs that live in a house all their lives and don't spend much time in the country that would be fine.
    But I can see how my dog could injure it while hiking and going through our pine beetle infested woods.
    Maybe if they can remove the nail attached and leave the muscles and ligaments alone.
    Interesting discussion.
    1. Human over population
    2. Government burden and overreach

We had one dog and the dew claw grew so much that when we noticed it (fur in the way) we could not use regular nail trimmers. I actually used a wire cutter to snip it. It had grown so much that it was looping back to grow into the skin.

None of our Tollers have had them removed and we've never had any problems at all with them despite them spending way more time in the "bush" and such than most dogs. Only our first Toller could be considered, maybe, as a "Performance Dog" as she was quite involved in Agility trials and such.
    Daughter, when she was working at a Vet's Office suggested we not do it, she didn't do it to their Lab.
    Good post Lab Guy, that kind of info should be out there.
    Now, let's discuss declawing cats.