Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Camper for Tundra

Re: Camper for Tundra

F150 isnt filling up your shop because it's the worst quality..... it's simply out there more than any truck so it's going to have more broken ones.

Not like you get the other hundreds of thousands stopping by to remind you how well theirs are running.

But yes, Toyota takes the cake for reliability hands down.

You can get the HD payload pkg on an xl, xlt, and base lariat. Engine choices are the coyote and the ecoboost.on the xlt its only available on the 300 and 301 trim levels as well. Maybe the 302 as well now, but not sure. Reg, extended, and crew cab are all available but not available in a crew cab short box (who wants a 5.5’ box anyway?)...

Looking at my 2019 with the ecoboost with HD payload pkg and compared to my colleague’s 2006 ram 2500 diesel the two trucks are comparable. Mine has 2690 lbs of payload available and can tow 11,500 lbs while the ram has 2000 lbs of payload but can pull 14,000 lbs.

I don’t really notice the 3.73 vs the 3.55 found in the max tow version. The ecoboost has so much torque that it’s no different driving around. The electric locking diff is nice although I prefer the posi in my old dodge.

The payload and towing info is at the bottom here
    https://www.ford.com/services/assets...-150&year=2019

page 7 is what ford recommends for putting a camper onto your F150
    https://www.ford.com/services/assets...-150&year=2019

As far as the ford fan the only reason I bought the ford was for the HD payload option. Chev and dodge or toy don’t have anything close and I didn’t want the extra fuel for a 1 ton or 3/4. It was a great compromise for what I wanted.

I don’t think any one truck is much better or worse than another (except 6 and 6.4 f350) and I am pretty agnostic about what brand I own.

The simple fact is that unless you only ever drive yourself and a chihuahua, only keep your tank half full and pack very light most half tons will be overloaded with a Camper (which includes water, food, propane, sheets, it all adds up). Can you safely? Probably. Legally? Not if the crack downs keep up.

As for what is the best truck. I have driven all the Big 3. In my experience Dodge has the most stuff go wrong, by a lot; but it usually small stuff you can fix yourself. Just swap parts out. I honestly lost track of the overtime hours I have picked up fixing the work dodges in the bush. Chevys next, but it is a mix of major and small. The trucks that have broke down the least on me are the Fords. The thing is, when a Ford breaks it really breaks. The cost of a tow and repairs adds up in a hurry.

As for Toyotas, I fully agree that they are the most dependable out there. Their engines and transmissions last forever. Unfortunately there is a lot more to a truck then that. The mid-teen Tundras have suspension problems. The new Tacomas are having problems with their fuel doors, taking weeks to get parts and if you force it you will be paying for paint, and both the Tundra and Tacoma the rear cab break lights are known to leak. If you don't catch it in time (say go to mexico for two weeks while we get a cold snap followed by rain here) it will really wreck havoc with the entire electrical system and cost thousands to repair.

No one makes a perfect truck.
    I don't shoot innocent animals... Just the ones that look guilty!

Well said "M"!!

Been in the business a long time....I would not buy ANY truck made in a half ton to carry any weight!

Load up a half ton in a crew cab, add options and you have very little room if you have a full tank of gas and four guys in the cab.....

I had an 07 tundra crewmax with the tiny box so a camper was out from the get go. I kept my eye on craigslist and found a great 14' Edson camper from '78 I believe for $1100. I had it for years and sold it to my brother who still has it (he tows it with a '13 Frontier with a v6 and it does well)

I had an Edson trailer of that vintage. I sold it around 10 years ago. It had a toilet & holding tank and the sink drain was an open pipe and a bucket. Lots of ground clearance and great for hunting. The welds on the frame looked like crap but never broke.

Last edited by Gun Dog; 02-10-2020 at 09:31 PM.

I pull an 18 foot travel trailer with my Tundra. Depending on what we are doing I've got a rolled up zodiac and 9.9 with all the gear plus 4 mountain bikes and all the gear under my canopy. Or I can haul my quad on a rack I built with the tailgate closed plus all the hunting gear.
    I would 100% recommend towing instead of packing with the Tundra. Good luck.
    "Gun control"...... is hitting what you aim at!!!!

Gun dog, I had that same trailer. Minus the awning. I picked up a new axle for it when they were stupid cheap at princess auto and did an axle over swap while it was out for more ground clearance. I removed the bathroom and little partition wall and built a nice bench with storage under the seat and shelving above for drying clothes. Was a great set up. My brother and his wife painted it a flat grey when they bought it