Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Camper for Tundra

Camper for Tundra

Hey Gang,

I am acquiring a Toyota Tundra and I am wondering what experience people are having with truck campers and what I should look for? I am not 100% sure what the truck can handle yet, but any advice would be good and if anyone is selling something for under $2k that would be suitable, I would like to know if you are on Vancouver Island or the Lower Mainland.

I know I want an 8ft camper, that is clean as I plan to take my girls with me hunting. But I am not looking for anything massive. I am not worried if it needs work too.

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Camper for Tundra

Going to have to be something super light. I have a tundra and prefer to pull over haul.

I had an older Northern Lite camper on my Tundra... had airbags installed to help with sag. Awesome camper and truck handled it no problem. Any Northern Lite or Bigfoot would be good. They aren't cheap but you can find older models under 10k.

Take a look at the cargo capacity and gross axle weight ratings on a Tundra. Depending on the trim you are limited to around 1500 pounds cargo capacity. Good luck finding an 8 foot camper that weighs less than that. A couple people, gear and a tank of gas adds up quick, there is no way you can be legal with a camper in the box. Not to say the truck can't handle it but if you get into an accident and ICBC finds the fact you are over gross had anything to do with the accident your insurance is void.
    Last edited by Nailknot85; 01-16-2020 at 09:54 PM.

No to bigfoots. They weigh a lot dry. Great camper for sure! But I’d recommend 3/4 or one ton for them. Find some ultra light camper. I have a custom light camper for my half ton dodge with airbags that my uncle made long time a go and truck handles great. ( uncle came up with Bigfoot and made first one ever in a shop in east van)

You have to find the older models of the Northen Lite and Bigfoot... a few of them are under the Tundra payload.....

Here's my old Ram 1500 with my 8Ft Adventurer camper.
    The camper weighs 1400lbs dry and my Ram's payload was around 1850lbs, I also had airbags installed which made a HUGE difference in the ride and handling.

When fully loaded with water, 2 weeks food, propane, fishing/hunting gear, myself and or a friend I am WAY over my limit, even though my truck handled it OK I drove extra cautiously. I definitely knew there was a camper in the back as my truck is........ a Half Ton! I now haul the same camper with a 1 ton diesel and this camper is invisible. I had a buddy who had a small Bigfoot import camper on his Tacoma, that didn't last long.

Way above your budget but I have a GFC (https://gofastcampers.com/). It's no palace but certainly is a great way to tent camp off the ground. Some folks trick them out to make full time campers including heaters. But, that's not what I need.

There are a few competitors but they tend to be even more expensive.

Quote Originally Posted by Nailknot85 View Post
    Take a look at the cargo capacity and gross axle weight ratings on a Tundra. Depending on the trim you are limited to around 1500 pounds cargo capacity. Good luck finding an 8 foot camper that weighs less than that. A couple people, gear and a tank of gas adds up quick, there is no way you can be legal with a camper in the box. Not to say the truck can't handle it but if you get into an accident and ICBC finds the fact you are over gross had anything to do with the accident your insurance is void.
    This ^

You will he disappointed with the payload of the Tundra. Not that it cant handed it but legally you will most likely be over weight. I personally would move up to a 3/4 or 1 ton for a camper. I had one on my 3/4 and it was still alittle heavy.

Quote Originally Posted by jlirot View Post
    Way above your budget but I have a GFC (https://gofastcampers.com/). It's no palace but certainly is a great way to tent camp off the ground. Some folks trick them out to make full time campers including heaters. But, that's not what I need.

There are a few competitors but they tend to be even more expensive.
    those look really nice! long backorder on the "camper" version though, they say december 2020 at least. I would pick up the tent system and then weld up a similar frame system for the truck. a nice option for sure

why not just pull a small camper trailer like one of the small "pop up" style ones?