Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Camper for Tundra

Re: Camper for Tundra

Thanks everyone for your input and clearly the Tundra is a tow'er, not a hauler. I will look at camper trailers. I like the idea of unhooking and having the flexibility of being mobile beyond camp. Especially if camp is a sweet spot.

Now does anyone have a project camper trailer out there?

I would look for a cargo trailer. Insulate and add a heater. Lots of space. Mobile cabin that you could load a quad into etc.

You could go cargo trailer but if you want repeat trips with the daughters might want to go with typical trailer with few more of the home comforts. Nice to come home to on the rainy or cold days. If they don’t mind roughing it then the cargo trailer might work for you, but will feel more cramped.

check the tundras payload- prolly not legally allowed to pack much weight- such as a camper.

I haul an 8ft camper in a half ton and it's fine. Mine is even a short box truck. No issues so far

Last edited by twoSevenO; 01-19-2020 at 10:26 PM.

I don't have much knowledge on TUNDRA's but that camper can not be legal for the road. I don't cane how many air bags you put under it. Air bags in no way add to extra weight you can carry.

With the right setup they will let you put almost 3300 in the back.

The Gvwr on mine is 7850 lbs and they rate “payload” as the load you can carry with a full tank of fuel and a driver.

Its a modern heavy half, but it has less to do with what I expect it to do and what I can legally do. I don’t expect a 10 foot camper with slides but it will be fine for what I want.

You can see the ratings in the payload section.

https://www.ford.com/services/assets...stalCode=07735

Mine is rate for 2690lbs of payload and will tow 11,500lbs.

A DOT person could straighten this out. But from my knowledge the payload is not just what you put in the box. Part of the 2690 payload has to be over the front wheels. On the inside of the drivers door it should say max for each. Towing 11,500 is for a truck made for that weight. Not all 1/2 can do it. need the right motor,transmission and real end. Far to many people read the write up and believe the so called sales professional. Most of them last week lost their job as the greeter at Wallie world.
    The vast majority of truck owners do not fall into this area, but a few do and they are the ones that cause accidents.

Quote Originally Posted by ruger416 View Post
    A DOT person could straighten this out. But from my knowledge the payload is not just what you put in the box. Part of the 2690 payload has to be over the front wheels. On the inside of the drivers door it should say max for each. Towing 11,500 is for a truck made for that weight. Not all 1/2 can do it. need the right motor,transmission and real end. Far to many people read the write up and believe the so called sales professional. Most of them last week lost their job as the greeter at Wallie world.
    The vast majority of truck owners do not fall into this area, but a few do and they are the ones that cause accidents.
    Having looked into this for my F150, you are absolutely correct.

F150 can tow something like 11,500lbs max. And that is standard cab, 8ft box, 2 wheel drive, 3:73 gears

Add 4x4 - goes down
    Add screw cab - down more!
    Change gears other than 373 - down even more!

The cgvw must be met. So you have to look in the Toyota docs for what your particular combination works out to be.

My truck is a short box, crew cab with 3.73 gears, 4x4 and max tows 9300lbs, compared to the F150 max 11,500lbs (for model year 2011)

Same with bed payload

Quote Originally Posted by RambleOn View Post
    I would look for a cargo trailer. Insulate and add a heater. Lots of space. Mobile cabin that you could load a quad into etc.
    This ^^^^^ or find a light travel trailer. Payload is one thing, but traveling at highway speeds through corners and/or windy areas; you won’t be happy with a top heavy unit on your truck. Many half ton trucks going down the highway are way over loaded and it’s a matter of time before an accident happens. Never mind the much smaller brakes trying to do an emergency stop at high summer temps on steep hills.
    If you can pack it in, You can pack it out !!!

UNITED WE STAND, DIVIDED WE FALL !!!

BCWF
    WSSBC
    CCFR
    " The secret of change is to focus all your energy, not on fighting the old, but building on the new"
    Socrates.