Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Camper for Tundra

Re: Camper for Tundra

Quote Originally Posted by mjplewak View Post
    Hey Gang,

I am acquiring a Toyota Tundra and I am wondering what experience people are having with truck campers and what I should look for? I am not 100% sure what the truck can handle yet, but any advice would be good and if anyone is selling something for under $2k that would be suitable, I would like to know if you are on Vancouver Island or the Lower Mainland.

I know I want an 8ft camper, that is clean as I plan to take my girls with me hunting. But I am not looking for anything massive. I am not worried if it needs work too.
    I bought a 8' "project camper" out of a farmer's field. It had some damage from water getting in via the front clearance lights and front window. The wood where the rear jacks attached was also soft and one rear jack didn't work. It only had a two burner stove in it and the fridge and furnace were gone.

It took me about six weeks to get it all fixed up and weather tight (being retired helps). I'm not a very skilled carpenter , but have a bunch of tools. I replaced all the rotted wood and two jacks. All in for the rebuild it cost me including jacks (most expensive item) about $1200. I removed all the old decals and repainted it with a roller. We've used it on several trips including one to the Organ Pipe National Monument in southern Arizona from southern BC. Eighteen nights in a row is our record.

The unit weighs about 800 pounds empty and around 1100 fully loaded. I only pack a few gallons of water and have one 10lb propane tank. I converted the fridge space and furnace space into storage areas. The smallest Buddy heater keeps it nice and warm. My half-ton GMC handles it just fine. It's pretty basic but it was a pretty cheap project. Keeps us warm and dry.

There's a very nice home built camperette for sale in the off topic section of this forum. It's more than your budget though.

It may be to small but how about a camperette we have one and it ways about 800 lbs. If you get the small overhang over the cab of your truck you could sleep up top and put the girls where the table goes that off course makes into a bed. Ours has a furnace a small sink and 2 burner stove.
    Nothing is like climbing a mountain, and then feeling like you are at the top of the world.

My only problem with campers on a 1/2 ton is that icbc will absolutely hump your eye sockets if you get in any kind of accident. If you are over weight you are hooped. I plan on campering my f150 but it has the payload pkg, and is good for 2600 lbs with a full tank and 6 passengers.

2600 Lbs PAYLOAD in a F150 - that would allow to you to HAUL about a 1200 lb camper ROUGHLY - RJ

Sold my 1975?? 8 ft Frontier camper for $800.00. The posted weight was around 850 lbs but was not an issue as I have a 3/4 T. Camper had furnace, sink and water tank, cook top, and I put in a microwave. Served me well but didn't use it. Lots of room and worked well but those old campers always have small issues, particularly when seldom used. It also had a one piece aluminum roof someone put on and 2 propane tanks.

It might be worth weighing your vehicle at a scale to see how much gvw is still available. I suspect exceeding it would void insurance. I see lots of 1/2 tonnes with campers here on the island, and I seriously doubt they're under capacity.
    Last edited by IslandWanderer; 01-18-2020 at 09:53 AM.
    When in doubt, just pin it.

Quote Originally Posted by REMINGTON JIM View Post
    2600 Lbs PAYLOAD in a F150 - that would allow to you to HAUL about a 1200 lb camper ROUGHLY - RJ
    A 1/2 tonne that has a payload of over a tonne?
    When in doubt, just pin it.

Might want to look at a trailer instead with a canopy on the tundra for extra gear and bringing home the meat. Nice to be able to quickly unhook trailer and off you go hunting without having a camper on there getting pounded on the gravel roads and limiting your access. Can always unload a camper at destination but that still adds a few steps/time when setting up and breaking camp which is never much fun in the dark when you just want to get home. The ladies will appreciate the toilet in the trailer as well. Just my two bits and I use a camper on my Ram truck. The reason I like the camper is I like to tow a utility trailer with my quad, drybox and freezer. When I get where I’m going camper comes off and drybox and quad go in my pickup.
    Last edited by northof49; 01-19-2020 at 10:00 AM. Reason: Spelling

A small trailer would be a better choice. Even if you found a small light camper the stuff -- food, water, fuel, guns, friends and beer -- add up quick. Add a trailer and you add another 200 - 300 pounds on the ball. Add some hunting success and you'll be way over.

With my 1/2T I had a 16' trailer. I used the truck for getting around and had room in the box to bring home the deer.

With my 1T dually I'm at my GVW with a 9.6 Northern Lite camper on the back.