Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Camper for Tundra

Re: Camper for Tundra

here my ultra lite camper custom made by my cousin. Has a wood burning stove, storage and a bed. No bathroom and stuff like that etc. Dry weight is 780 pounds. 2016 ram 1500 with upgraded suspension and airbags. Does the job for me for now. Will be upgrading truck down the road to one ton.

Quote Originally Posted by Huntingtyler123 View Post

here my ultra lite camper custom made by my cousin. Has a wood burning stove, storage and a bed. No bathroom and stuff like that etc. Dry weight is 780 pounds. 2016 ram 1500 with upgraded suspension and airbags. Does the job for me for now. Will be upgrading truck down the road to one ton.
    Cool set up! Post up some interior shots.

Quote Originally Posted by ruger416 View Post
    A DOT person could straighten this out. But from my knowledge the payload is not just what you put in the box. Part of the 2690 payload has to be over the front wheels. On the inside of the drivers door it should say max for each. Towing 11,500 is for a truck made for that weight. Not all 1/2 can do it. need the right motor,transmission and real end. Far to many people read the write up and believe the so called sales professional. Most of them last week lost their job as the greeter at Wallie world.
    The vast majority of truck owners do not fall into this area, but a few do and they are the ones that cause accidents.
    In BC you can't exceed:
    - GVWR
    - GAWR (gross axle weight rating) for each axle
    - tire load rating
    - rim load rating (in theory a rim has a rating stamped somewhere)

The tow rating is in the brochure and recommended by the manufacturer for warranty purposes but the Transport Act uses a number so high your really limited by the pin weight and GVWR on the vehicle. There is a standard that manufacturers are supposed to use -- J2807 -- when promoting their vehicles.

The only way to change your GWVR is to get an approved commercial truck builder to sign off on upgrades.
    Last edited by Gun Dog; 01-20-2020 at 01:54 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by twoSevenO View Post
    Having looked into this for my F150, you are absolutely correct.

F150 can tow something like 11,500lbs max. And that is standard cab, 8ft box, 2 wheel drive, 3:73 gears

Add 4x4 - goes down
    Add screw cab - down more!
    Change gears other than 373 - down even more!

The cgvw must be met. So you have to look in the Toyota docs for what your particular combination works out to be.

My truck is a short box, crew cab with 3.73 gears, 4x4 and max tows 9300lbs, compared to the F150 max 11,500lbs (for model year 2011)

Same with bed payload
    Have a look at the brochure I linked. They have come a long way since 2011 and the aluminum bodies allowed more pay and towing.

It is absolutely an accurate statement to say that not all f150’s can carry or tow the max. The HD payload that Ilave has a 9.75” rear with the 3.73s along with the turbo v6. That’s not all it takes though. The front and rear springs are heavier, shocks are heavier, sway bars are heavier, and the frame is made of thicker steel than any of the other models. It has HD rims and the tires are load range C.

I never planned to max it out but I also never wanted any question that I was over weight. The plan is a modest well balanced camper that will allow for passengers, food, and occasionally a boat or quad trailer. A regular half ton isn’t rated for the task but mine has the numbers on the door jamb that says it’s set up for it.

It’s not a huge stretch either. The f350s 250s and 150s all share the same cab, and the HD payload 150 happens to come with 3/4 ton running gear.

It’s a unicorn and it took me 3 years to find one for the right price, but anyone can have one if they look around. They are more common now than when I started looking. Also the 140L gas tank is nice.

Almost 12k kms on it now.

Quote Originally Posted by IslandWanderer View Post
    A 1/2 tonne that has a payload of over a tonne?
    Read Post #14

Quote Originally Posted by ryanonthevedder View Post
    Have a look at the brochure I linked. They have come a long way since 2011 and the aluminum bodies allowed more pay and towing.

It is absolutely an accurate statement to say that not all f150’s can carry or tow the max. The HD payload that Ilave has a 9.75” rear with the 3.73s along with the turbo v6. That’s not all it takes though. The front and rear springs are heavier, shocks are heavier, sway bars are heavier, and the frame is made of thicker steel than any of the other models. It has HD rims and the tires are load range C.

I never planned to max it out but I also never wanted any question that I was over weight. The plan is a modest well balanced camper that will allow for passengers, food, and occasionally a boat or quad trailer. A regular half ton isn’t rated for the task but mine has the numbers on the door jamb that says it’s set up for it.

It’s not a huge stretch either. The f350s 250s and 150s all share the same cab, and the HD payload 150 happens to come with 3/4 ton running gear.

It’s a unicorn and it took me 3 years to find one for the right price, but anyone can have one if they look around. They are more common now than when I started looking. Also the 140L gas tank is nice.

Almost 12k kms on it now.
    Ok so which F150 is this exactly? What trim and package level?
    I'm curious. And what year?

Some of the new aluminum ones have INSANE payload, bigger than older 3/4 ton. If i could afford it, i would have gone for one of the newer aluminum ones for sure.
    As is, i do love the truck config i got. The 3.73 rear end is nice. Electric diff lock is nice as well.

This turned into a Ford fan thread pretty quick lol. The Tundra may not have the payload that a heavy half F150 does but I bet the Tundra will still be on the road long after the Ford is rotting in a junkyard somewhere. I'm a 'yota fanboy though so I'm pretty biased.

Quote Originally Posted by Nailknot85 View Post
    This turned into a Ford fan thread pretty quick lol. The Tundra may not have the payload that a heavy half F150 does but I bet the Tundra will still be on the road long after the Ford is rotting in a junkyard somewhere. I'm a 'yota fanboy though so I'm pretty biased.
    I'll have to second this. My father in law is a service manager at a large dealership. I'm convinced I will never buy an f150

^^^yup x3....done ford....never again

Quote Originally Posted by whitlers View Post
    I'll have to second this. My father in law is a service manager at a large dealership. I'm convinced I will never buy an f150
    I'm a Parts man at a LARGE dealership I would not buy a F150 or a ESCAPE both are filling the shop up everyday ! RJ