Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: hunting with ear plugs

Re: hunting with ear plugs

Quote Originally Posted by shuswapbear View Post
    I use a pair of these plugs they are a 2 stage hearing protection. If I'm out hunting in sxs I put on first stage of protection. when I fire my rifle I just push the button to change to second level of protection. I can shoot in first and does prevent my ears from getting rung.

https://www.westsidestores.ca/produc...e-ear-bud.html
    I might give these ones a try, thanks shuswapbear

I wear earplugs while riding on the ATV. Makes is quieter while driving. While walking/sitting, I'll have them loose inside the ear (they're connected to a a string that put over my head/under my hat or toque which keeps them from falling out and getting lost). This way I can still hear (although my hearing has decreased from shooting without earplugs when I was younger) and just press them in if I'm going to shoot. I also went to 30.06 from .300 cause I was tired of the KAAAAAA BOOOOM!

While hunting i wear the Howard Leight Impact Sport with Sound Amplification. I turn up the volume and can hear movement in the bush much better than normal and they also keep my ears warm. I can hear my hunting partner whisper from 20' clearly. They give decent protection for a single shot outdoors.

When I am at the range, i wear the Howard lights and add Radians CEP001-0 Custom Molded Earplugs. I can hear the range master and also have really solid protection from multiple shots.

I once shot a 300 win. mag. while hunting without protection and my ears rang for the entire day.
    Last edited by Banker; 02-29-2020 at 10:29 AM.

The only time that I wear hearing protection is while waterfowl hunting in a blind with others, I wear Walker Game Ears muffs. I don't wear any while big game hunting, I can only think of a handful of times that the report from a big game hunting rifle bothered me. I mostly hunt with a 300 win mag. Come to think of it, the only times that the report bothered me is when I'm delivering the coup de grace at close range. Should maybe think of having some protection for that instance.

Quote Originally Posted by sames14 View Post
    Well MichelD you must of taken alot of animals. I am 61, have taken my share, shoot a 338 wm and 300 wm both with muzzle brakes, my old favourite 06 (no brake) and 12 gauge semi auto for birds and I have no hearing loss. (unless it's the wife talking). Target or preseason gun check I always wore and still wear good protection.
    ahaha yes i agree with above and mimick above

Quote Originally Posted by ACB View Post
    The only time that I wear hearing protection is while waterfowl hunting in a blind with others, I wear Walker Game Ears muffs. I don't wear any while big game hunting, I can only think of a handful of times that the report from a big game hunting rifle bothered me. I mostly hunt with a 300 win mag. Come to think of it, the only times that the report bothered me is when I'm delivering the coup de grace at close range. Should maybe think of having some protection for that instance.
    It’s not an issue of the report bothering you it’s the permanent damage it does to your ears whether it bothers you or not.

Quote Originally Posted by ACB View Post
    Whether you think it does or doesnèt bother you, every shot from any firearm, without hearing protection will bother your ears and damage your hearing for life, just as bad as the idiots that drive around in there cars with windows up. music blaring !! I have been wearing hearing aids for close to 38 + years now because the sawmill that I work at in the early 70,s did not supply the right hearing protection !! Now with out hearing aids, Ièm legally deaf. It sure puts a damper on day to day life !!! Take care of your hearing, once gone it never returns !!!

There are some ear muffs I use for target shooting. They amplify anything below a certain decibel range and mute anything above that range. Basically making it so you can hear a grouse in the grass, but as soon as you pull the trigger all goes quiet. Pretty handy for days when your shooting birds, squirrel, rabbits where you’re taking multiple shots.