Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: hunting with ear plugs

hunting with ear plugs

Hi everyone,

In light of Speedy's fantastic Squamish Blacktail post (great first deer by the way, and even better story), I was wondering what everyone's recommendations are for earplugs when hunting.

Do most hunters have them close at hand and pop them in if the situation permits?

2. Site Sponsor

Re: hunting with ear plugs

I wear low profile muffs on top of my head. All my friends laugh at me because they say I look like Princess Leia hiking around. In most situations, I have had ample time to slide them down and on before firing. If the animal sees me or I have to make a quick shot, they stay on top of my head. I doubt you would have time to roll up a pair of foam plugs and stick them in.

I went deaf in my left ear for 4 months due to a medical event and it was a dreadful experience. So I protect my ears as much as possible.

The left ear takes the brunt of it I find. Even if you have a foam plug halfway into just the left ear the entire time you're hunting, neither ear will ring after firing. JMHO

I use the plugs on the hard plastic band. Just have it around my neck and it's quick and easy to just pop them up into place in most situations. They make different styles of these, some that go into the ear canal and others that just cover the canal.

Arrow Re: hunting with ear plugs

Quote Originally Posted by andrew5 View Post
    ... Do most hunters have them close at hand and pop them in if the situation permits?
    Nope. But I have been deaf as a post for years.

Nog
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zVNNhzkJ-UU&feature=related

Egotistical, Self Centered, Son of a Bitch Killer that Doesn't Play Well With Others.

Guess he got to Know me

Quote Originally Posted by IronNoggin View Post
    Nope. But I have been deaf as a post for years.

Nog
    .....what??

I usually carry about 6 or even 8 plugs with me in every available pocket big game hunting. I have bad tinnitus and serious hearing loss in my left ear and can't afford any more. A buck surprised me several years ago and I shot without plugs and the ringing in my left ear was severe for days afterwards.

I may have lost a couple opportunities due to digging in pockets for plugs, but I have to do it.

For waterfowling I have custom-made plugs I leave in for the hunt and muffs on top.

I purchased a set of fitted shooting plugs a vendor was selling at the outdoorsman show. They work well. I usually just leave the one in opposite the hand I shoot as I find that's the ear my muzzle brake hurts the most. If I have time I pop the other in.

I was thinking that the ones fixed to the hard band would be a good solution, as it wouldn't be much time or movement to slide them into position. I just hear about so many people losing hearing, and how it doesn't take many shots to start noticing a change. this really came up when I was looking into the support of suppressors for hunting, and how it would help avoid negative impacts on hunter hearing health.

I will always remember my PAL instructor having to essentially clear pressure in his ears by blowing his nose that was pinched closed with his fingers, because of shooting for so many years without ear protection. I can't imagine having to feel like you're constantly taking off from a plane and needing to release pressure in your ears.

like above I have about 6 of those orange plugs in my pockets in the bush. I will put them in if the outlook for a shot is good,

I locate more deer by sound than sight in the bush so I am I am 50/50 on getting them in or not.

But I am not too concerned about a shot here and there out in the bush on my hearing. Its not Nam 68 out there