Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: hunting with ear plugs

Re: hunting with ear plugs

Go on amazon and buy the walker game ear for about 75 bucks apiece put them on enhances your ability to hear the game and then cuts out at 90 decibels proctecting your ears
    https://www.amazon.ca/Walkers-Game-E...305168&sr=8-15
    bigben

Trouble is most people take it very lightly untill they suffer hearing loss, but then they don't, as they realsie what it actually means to their lives. Its so easy to damage your ears permanently, don't wait untill it happens, use some quality ear plugs or Muffs and keep hunting and hearing. No shot is worth permanent hearing loss.

Wear low profile earmuffs. I have the walkers electronic they work great you can still hear when making the shot. It takes no time to slip them on before shooting. I know I flinch when not using hearing protection so it will improve your accuracy too. I hunt every day for weeks wearing them and don’t even know they are there. They also help hold in a bit of body heat too.

When we're younger we think we can tough it out. You know, kind of like gritting your teeth as the truck hammers along another mile of potholes or squinting our eyes shut in blowing snow or sand.

But guess what? You can't squeeze your ears shut.

Every loud noise and particularly gun shots damage your hearing every time. You don't notice it at first and might even ridicule those who are smart enough to be concerned, but you're permanently whittling away at your hearing with every unprotected shot.

Quote Originally Posted by hawk-i View Post
    I wear this type around my neck, only takes a split second to put them in...

Enlarge

These if I use my braked rifle.

Quote Originally Posted by bigben View Post
    Go on amazon and buy the walker game ear for about 75 bucks apiece put them on enhances your ability to hear the game and then cuts out at 90 decibels proctecting your ears
    https://www.amazon.ca/Walkers-Game-E...305168&sr=8-15
    Looks interesting. Ear muffs interfere with the gun stock when I'm shooting.

I wear ear plugs at the range and nothing when hunting. When I added a muzzle brake to my 300 winmag it made my ears ring for days. Ouch. Don't use it any more so if anyone's interested in a Savage 300 winmag with a muzzle brake send me a PM.

A recent hearing test (my gf says I can't hear her) was normal for my age (61).

No plugs when hunting, but plugs at the range or during sex.

^^^^^This.

I double up on the hearing protection at the range. Plugs and muffs. I find I don’t flinch when the guy beside me lets a shot go.

Ive been trying to figure out hearing protection while hunting for the last few years. I tried putting a pair of muffs on the shoulder strap of my day pack, but they always seemed to be in the way and they make a bunch of racket. I settled on using a set of blue silicone disposable plugs on a string and Tied them to the hanger hook on my hunting coat. When I put my coat on I always make a point of pulling the plugs over my shoulders so they’re in position when I need them.

This year I actually got my left ear plug in before shooting which is my best ever. I got one plug in before the moose made me, so I made three shots with the left plug in and I didn’t even notice how loud it was.
    If you don't read the newspaper, you're uninformed. If you read the newspaper, you're mis-informed.

I have a pair of the low profile ear muffs. I usually wear them on my head and can pull them down fast enough to get them on. The last 3 animals I had more than enough time to get them on. My first bear I took three shots from a 30-06 without ear protection and there was a rock bluff to my left. Couldn't hear a damn thing for days and had a crackling in my left ear with louder noises for a year or two. Even when I spoke with a raised voice it would crackle. Was also very dazed and out of it. I could hear it even when watching a movie in the theatres when there were explosions in the film. I also work in construction and am constantly around loud trucks and equipment and wear ear plugs constantly. I even wear them when driving truck because the air controls for dumping and putting the tarp on and off the truck are super loud in the cab. As well as the hydraulics running the salt spreader in the winter.
    Thankfully, the crackling in my left went away after a few years and I had a hearing test 2 or 3 years after the hunt through work and my hearing was still near perfect. But, I find my ears ring easily and I always hear the gunshot when I shoot at an animal. Ever since my first animal. So I ALWAYS shoot with them on. Because that ringing in my ears and being kind of shell shocked didn't allow me to really enjoy having taken my first bear the way I would have liked. And everytime I take an animal, which honestly isn't many, I've been very thankful that I took the time to put the muffs on.
    Tinnitus also runs in my family and I will try my damndest to protect my hearing. I would rather let an animal get away than lose my hearing. But I have not seen a true "trophy" animal while hunting that would make me question that. But I have a tendency to over prepare and that includes mentally thinking through all possible situations. And I have decided I will NEVER EVER shoot without my muffs on....even if it means missing a great animal. I am 31 and I plan on hearing well for the rest of my life.

That being said, when shooting rabbits or grouse on the road with a .22, it's a toss up whether I put them on or not. But 75% of the time, I do.
    Last edited by ekul246; 01-18-2020 at 09:45 PM.