Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: My First Decoy Paint Job

My First Decoy Paint Job

Its my first season duck hunting and I recently got a really good deal on some hand me down decoys as a friend of mine is upgrading for next season.There was one mallard drake in the bunch who was in a bit rougher shape.So I thought with nothing to lose I’d try and repaint it.
    I have read that having a couple Black Ducks in your spread can be useful and help lure in birds,it also seemed like one of the more basic colour schemes to try and start with which made me a little more comfortable to be honest.
    So I dug around the house for some old acrylic paints and brushes and got to work....

All the painting I did was by brush and with only 5 different actual paint colours (all other variations are just by mixing, for example I didn’t have blue paint so I used a mix of food colouring and white paint....)
    I still have to fill the holes where I cut off the Drakes tail curls (didn’t make much sense to leave them on a hen) and then I’ll give it a matte clear coat and add it to my spread of decoys.

I am sure there are many more talented and qualified guys on here that do this sort of thing to a much higher level,but I am honestly pretty happy for my first attempt using only stuff I had kicking around the house,as this was kind of an experiment,if I was gunna do it again I would go out and pick up a few proper colours and paints and make my life a little easier.

Just figured I’d drop it here and see if I am on the right track with this or if beauty is just in the eye of the beholder.

Be gentle guys,but let me know what ya think
    Greg
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails A334E929-1297-4467-8616-49C230B5D6B5.jpg   30BA1C78-4327-4357-9A59-FBCF34052898.jpg   9C45A98D-816E-4D9C-9E88-6A50AEFBA4C6.jpg  

2. Site Sponsor

Re: My First Decoy Paint Job

They look Wonderfull, Well done. Steve!

That looks great! Looks like a good way to spend cold winter evenings.

Looks great, well done!

Great job DD.
    If you can pack it in, You can pack it out !!!

UNITED WE STAND, DIVIDED WE FALL !!!

BCWF
    WSSBC
    CCFR
    " The secret of change is to focus all your energy, not on fighting the old, but building on the new"
    Socrates.

Dang were do we send ours for such a nice paint job, well done.

Looks real good. In the future I wouldn’t bother cutting off curls there not that smart. Also if they are close enough to see curls you should have taken the shot.

Quote Originally Posted by pnbrock View Post
    Looks real good. In the future I wouldn’t bother cutting off curls there not that smart. Also if they are close enough to see curls you should have taken the shot.
    Yeah that had kinda crossed my mind as I stared at the hole after I cut them off,Definitely a step I would skip next time.

Thanks all around guys,I will be working on touching up all my decoys this off season,nothing to this extent but just fixing chipped paint.

It was a really relaxing way to spend A couple hours of a snowy day.

Anyone have tips on a clear coat to use?I have an old can of Painters Choice Matte Coat unless someone has a strong recommendation probably just gunna use that,just gotta wait for the garage to be warm enough to do some spraying.
    Last edited by DoubleDeuce; 01-14-2020 at 08:58 AM.

They look great!!