Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Alpine Hunting

Alpine Hunting

With Fall season over, its back to the maps to plan the 2020 season. This will now be my third year hunting and I would like to push into the alpine and get a even further away from roads. When looking at videos and images from alpine hunts, I see these gorgeous mountain tops that are vastly open and perfect for glassing big areas. I have been looking through a few map sources and am hard pressed to find ranges that aren't littered with forest. Granted I am not wanting to drive 12 hours to get to a spot so that does limit my scope some.
    Was just wondering what are some ways I could filter down my search. Are there certain elevations you have to hit before you can see this type of environment? Do they exist on the coastal mountain range, or do you have to push more inland? Don't need specific spots (though I'd be plenty greatful) but I really am hoping for some tips that will help me explore the high country.

2. Site Sponsor

sfire436 Guest

Re: Alpine Hunting

Where are you located? There is beautiful alpine country 3 hrs (or less) of the LM in every direction. Many, many areas to explore

Be warned: Not every alpine basin holds bucks. Not every alpine basin is easy to hike up to. Some are just impossible due to terrain and thick vegetation, unless you are willing cut a trail. Give 3-4 areas a GOOD hike and one will likelly be pretty decent

nice link attached..

Quote Originally Posted by twoSevenO View Post
    Where are you located? There is beautiful alpine country 3 hrs (or less) of the LM in every direction. Many, many areas to explore

Be warned: Not every alpine basin holds bucks. Not every alpine basin is easy to hike up to. Some are just impossible due to terrain and thick vegetation, unless you are willing cut a trail. Give 3-4 areas a GOOD hike and one will likelly be pretty decent

This is beautiful!
    1. Human over population
    2. Government burden and overreach

Here's a few more

Here's another example within 3 hours of Vancouver, bit more mixed timber up here but lots of glassable basins as well. Planning on hiking into the range across the valley this summer for some scouting, the steeper the terrain and harder the access the less people you'll see in there

"You can learn more about hunting with a bow in a week than you could in a lifetime of gun hunting" - Fred Bear

sfire436 Guest

Been alpine 4 or 5 times. I have yet to connect on anything. I cannot tell you how much time I have spent scouting, but I can tell you it's the best part. Spending hours on google earth to find something that looks promising and then just trying to find a way in!

sfire436 Guest

Great thread so far. These pics are amazing! Keep it coming guys.
    You can take the man out of the wilderness but you cant take the wilderness out of the man.