Thread: New Comer / Elk Spotted

New Comer / Elk Spotted

Hi everyone, this is my first post to this forum as i've been reading through everyones and enjoying them...I just moved to BC from Winnipeg as of Oct last year so about 3 months. I'm going to be talking my core course for BC and have been told i need to wait 6 months of permanent residence so i can purchase licenses here. Can't tell you how excited i am for some predator hunting, bear, coyote and wolf. My uncle has a farm in Saskatchewan and it's always a good time there for coyotes, moose or deer.

I'm living in Maple Ridge and have been scouting some areas on weekends on multiple forest roads and talking to as many people as i can to gather info. I'm not sure i'll make it in time for spring bear but i'll see. As mentioned one of the big critters on my list is wolf, i've always wanted to hunt them and snag one. I know there are many other animals here as well to get excited for such as sheep, moose and elk...all on my list too!

well what led to this post...today we were up a few roads out by Chahalis lake, love it out there and hoping good bear hunting out there with all the open cuts from logging. On our way out today we rounded a corner and walking down the middle of the road was a small herd of Elk, was totally surprised, there were about 7 or 8 of them! They were all cows from what i could see, i quickly shut off my truck to watch them, well needless to say they quickly spotted us, stopped for a minute and then started heading into the bush. My wife quickly reached for my cell to capture a picture but by the time i got one there was one left on the road, 1 at the edge of the bush and the rest had headed into the bush. We pulled up and watched them walk into the bush farther and disappear like ghosts, thick timber. We pulled forward and i showed my daughter their tracks and tracked them back to where they dropped out onto the road, pretty cool stuff!!

attached are the picture i got of the one on the road and the tracks we saw. Hope you enjoy!!

does anyone know if ElK are common in the area up there?

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20200111_145649.jpg 
Views:	815 
Size:	60.6 KB 
ID:	7726  

2. Site Sponsor

Re: New Comer / Elk Spotted

Welcome to B.C.

I believe those are Roosevelt Elk and were transplanted from Vancouver Island. They are seen frequently in the area. There are also Elk up the Stave and Pitt river systems.

Haney,BC and anywhere you can hunt in BC out of the rain !

All though transplanted Elk seem very adaptable, good to see them thriving, a cpl years ago we had a two dandy bulls hanging around Kanaka Creek and Lougheed Hwy in the spring, hopefully those that think they are more entitled don’t decimate the growing herds.

Welcome to HBC and Maple Ridge
    Thanks for posting
    WF
    7mm PRC soon to be the most popular cartridge in North America

Quote Originally Posted by gofastdino View Post
    Hi everyone, this is my first post to this forum as i've been reading through everyones and enjoying them...I just moved to BC from Winnipeg as of Oct last year so about 3 months. I'm going to be talking my core course for BC and have been told i need to wait 6 months of permanent residence so i can purchase licenses here. Can't tell you how excited i am for some predator hunting, bear, coyote and wolf. My uncle has a farm in Saskatchewan and it's always a good time there for coyotes, moose or deer.

I'm living in Maple Ridge and have been scouting some areas on weekends on multiple forest roads and talking to as many people as i can to gather info. I'm not sure i'll make it in time for spring bear but i'll see. As mentioned one of the big critters on my list is wolf, i've always wanted to hunt them and snag one. I know there are many other animals here as well to get excited for such as sheep, moose and elk...all on my list too!

well what led to this post...today we were up a few roads out by Chahalis lake, love it out there and hoping good bear hunting out there with all the open cuts from logging. On our way out today we rounded a corner and walking down the middle of the road was a small herd of Elk, was totally surprised, there were about 7 or 8 of them! They were all cows from what i could see, i quickly shut off my truck to watch them, well needless to say they quickly spotted us, stopped for a minute and then started heading into the bush. My wife quickly reached for my cell to capture a picture but by the time i got one there was one left on the road, 1 at the edge of the bush and the rest had headed into the bush. We pulled up and watched them walk into the bush farther and disappear like ghosts, thick timber. We pulled forward and i showed my daughter their tracks and tracked them back to where they dropped out onto the road, pretty cool stuff!!

attached are the picture i got of the one on the road and the tracks we saw. Hope you enjoy!!

Sounds like you’re hooked GFD; keep cruisin those roads as there are lots of places to explore until this white shit closes them off. It’s great to see these elk dispersed throughout all our local drainages and hopefully there will be a local season one day.( and as long as the poachers leave them alone) Many many years ago I lived in southern Manitoba where we chased whitetails and coyotes from big oak stands to huge flat open fields. Those were some great times, but this province has all hunting scenarios rolled up into one, just need to travel it to realize where all these places are. Welcome to BC and enjoy.
    If you can pack it in, You can pack it out !!!

UNITED WE STAND, DIVIDED WE FALL !!!

BCWF
    WSSBC
    CCFR
    " The secret of change is to focus all your energy, not on fighting the old, but building on the new"
    Socrates.

Quote Originally Posted by gofastdino View Post

Sounds like you’re hooked GFD; keep cruisin those roads as there are lots of places to explore until this white shit closes them off. It’s great to see these elk dispersed throughout all our local drainages and hopefully there will be a local season one day.( and as long as the poachers leave them alone) Many many years ago I lived in southern Manitoba where we chased whitetails and coyotes from big oak stands to huge flat open fields. Those were some great times, but this province has all hunting scenarios rolled up into one, just need to travel it to realize where all these places are. Welcome to BC and enjoy.
    If you can pack it in, You can pack it out !!!

UNITED WE STAND, DIVIDED WE FALL !!!

BCWF
    WSSBC
    CCFR
    " The secret of change is to focus all your energy, not on fighting the old, but building on the new"
    Socrates.

Very nice,
    about 6 years ago I saw a 10 -12 herd not far from there.