Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: New Management Measures for the Recreational Harvest of Shrimps and Prawns

Re: New Management Measures for the Recreational Harvest of Shrimps and Prawns

Quote Originally Posted by Husky7mm View Post
    Interesting... a lot of people, including first nations forget that horses were not part of the first nation tradition/culture as well.
    SORRY FOR THE DERAIL NOG

i have just spent most of the afternoon reading up on the icelanders in north central canada (gimli manitoba area)...for something so critical to life (fishing in winter) there is few mentions of it... it is possible he was reteaching them lost knowledge based on claims ive read suggesting natives and icelanders traded fishing techniques but it was the natives who taught the icelanders to use nets under the ice...funny how oral history (what Helgi told me) can differ from written history...very interesting how the area given to the iclanders was called the icelandic reserve.

in my reading i was appalled by the number of inacuracies...one link claimed northern ojibwa didnt grow veggies when i just read an account of them doing just that.....another fact sheet doesnt even get the species of fish a guy in a picture is holding right...

i did find this short book an interesting read also a blurb on fishing below

https://skemman.is/bitstream/1946/6365/1/Sigr%C3%BAn%20Brynd%C3%ADs-lokaeintak.pdf

https://www.nps.gov/fora/learn/educa...nd-hunting.htm
    Last edited by wideopenthrottle; 01-14-2020 at 06:32 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by wideopenthrottle View Post
    some of the immigrant traditions and methods were also adopted by the native people here....one of my best friends growing up was icelandic. his Dad (Helgi Thorvaldson) spent about a decade teaching natives in NW Ontario and norther
    n Manitoba how to ice fish with nets through the ice...it is now considered "traditional"
    I have family from Iceland, they immigrated to Hecla Island. They lived on that island till the government took the land without compensation and turned it into a park.
    BLACKRIFLESMATTER

Quote Originally Posted by wideopenthrottle View Post
    SORRY FOR THE DERAIL NOG

i have just spent most of the afternoon reading up on the icelanders in north central canada (gimli manitoba area)...for something so critical to life (fishing in winter) there is few mentions of it... it is possible he was reteaching them lost knowledge based on claims ive read suggesting natives and icelanders traded fishing techniques but it was the natives who taught the icelanders to use nets under the ice...funny how oral history (what Helgi told me) can differ from written history...very interesting how the area given to the iclanders was called the icelandic reserve.

in my reading i was appalled by the number of inacuracies...one link claimed northern ojibwa didnt grow veggies when i just read an account of them doing just that.....another fact sheet doesnt even get the species of fish a guy in a picture is holding right...

i did find this short book an interesting read also a blurb on fishing below

https://skemman.is/bitstream/1946/6365/1/Sigr%C3%BAn%20Brynd%C3%ADs-lokaeintak.pdf

https://www.nps.gov/fora/learn/educa...nd-hunting.htm
    My grandpa is Ojibwa and he also lived on Hecla with his mom dad brothers and sisters. When my grandpa wasn’t able to drive anymore, he gave me his custom license plate that says Hecla.
    Last edited by limit time; 01-14-2020 at 07:37 PM.
    BLACKRIFLESMATTER

Quote Originally Posted by limit time View Post
    My grandpa is Ojibwa and he also lived on Hecla with his mom dad brothers and sisters. When my grandpa wasn’t able to drive anymore, he gave me his custom license plate that says Hecla.
    did you read the story in the first link....the ojibwa in that area seem like they were incredible people...survivors..something to be very proud of.

WTF--- hijacked the whole thread !!!! Get back on topic-- what are WE going to do about getting kicked in the azz again by DFO ?? Roll over and take it ???

Quote Originally Posted by Opinionated Ol Phart View Post
    WTF--- hijacked the whole thread !!!! Get back on topic-- what are WE going to do about getting kicked in the azz again by DFO ?? Roll over and take it ???
    What are YOU going to do ol phart?
    BLACKRIFLESMATTER

I have written DFO and the Minister to let them know this action, along with the way we have been hit by other stupid non-conservation regulations ( Clams, Oysters, salmon etc) is nothing more than a reallocation to the commercial and FN fisheries and I have discussed the issue with my MP to get my objections heard ...And you ? https://islandfishermanmagazine.com/...hange-in-2020/