Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: New Management Measures for the Recreational Harvest of Shrimps and Prawns

Re: New Management Measures for the Recreational Harvest of Shrimps and Prawns

Quote Originally Posted by Husky7mm View Post
    Thats a great idea. When on earth have non indigenous people stepped away from hunting, fishing and gathering long enough that it is not part of our culture? Never, but we are the first to get shut out every time. People need to take a stand.
    If you look at the number of licenses sold vs the population I'd say the vast majority have stepped away from their culture and have embraced buying meat, fish and berries from the company stores. People that fish and toss them all back aren't fishing for food, they are fishing for recreation are they not?

how much would the old limit look like in a 5 gal pail almost a full 5 gal bucket?

last time i went 3 of us split the catch and had about 1/2 a 5 gal pail each...maybe 3 meals worth including the squat lobster (lagostinas?) once cleaned up.
    Last edited by wideopenthrottle; 01-13-2020 at 07:46 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by HappyJack View Post
    If you look at the number of licenses sold vs the population I'd say the vast majority have stepped away from their culture and have embraced buying meat, fish and berries from the company stores. People that fish and toss them all back aren't fishing for food, they are fishing for recreation are they not?
    We are fortunate to be able to practise catch and release with fishing if stocks are low, not so much with hunting....
    The point being it should be our fundamental right to hunt and fish and gather equally in this country, it has ALWAYS been a part of our culture.

Consider that on Vancouver Island early immigrants were hunters and fisherman. Many also foraged for mushrooms and natural herbs etc. They brought their traditional, cultural and ceremonial practices from other cultures across the seas. These traditions were shared by elders with younger members of their family units. This transfer of knowledge was not passed on a piece of paper, it was done orally, passed down by those with the valuable life experiences.

Here is where it gets interesting, this sharing of traditional hunter gatherer knowledge did not just start upon getting off a boat in Nanaimo or Victoria. It defies logic to think it could have. So where did all of this critical cultural knowledge come from and how far back could these hunter gatherer traditional oral accounts go?

My feeling is that the all hunter gatherers are linked to the ancients, we have to be, that is why we survived and are here.

The obvious take away from my rant here is that white people too have oral histories that go far far back in time.
    We too have always hunted...
    Blacktailaholic

some of the immigrant traditions and methods were also adopted by the native people here....one of my best friends growing up was icelandic. his Dad (Helgi Thorvaldson) spent about a decade teaching natives in NW Ontario and northern Manitoba how to ice fish with nets through the ice...it is now considered "traditional"

Quote Originally Posted by Islandeer View Post
    Consider that on Vancouver Island early immigrants were hunters and fisherman. Many also foraged for mushrooms and natural herbs etc. They brought their traditional, cultural and ceremonial practices from other cultures across the seas. These traditions were shared by elders with younger members of their family units. This transfer of knowledge was not passed on a piece of paper, it was done orally, passed down by those with the valuable life experiences.

Here is where it gets interesting, this sharing of traditional hunter gatherer knowledge did not just start upon getting off a boat in Nanaimo or Victoria. It defies logic to think it could have. So where did all of this critical cultural knowledge come from and how far back could these hunter gatherer traditional oral accounts go?

My feeling is that the all hunter gatherers are linked to the ancients, we have to be, that is why we survived and are here.

The obvious take away from my rant here is that white people too have oral histories that go far far back in time.
    We too have always hunted...
    Last edited by wideopenthrottle; 01-14-2020 at 05:14 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by HappyJack View Post
    Consider it like "going to the range", gotta stay sharp for when the apocalypse occurs.....

Quote Originally Posted by wideopenthrottle View Post
    some of the immigrant traditions and methods were also adopted by the stone age people here....one of my best friends growing up was icelandic. his Dad (Helgi Thorvaldson) spent about a decade teaching natives in NW Ontario and northern Manitoba how to ice fish with nets through the ice...it is now considered "traditional"
    This would be a fascinating and historically important read.

Quote Originally Posted by Husky7mm View Post
    We are fortunate to be able to practise catch and release with fishing if stocks are low, not so much with hunting....
    The point being it should be our fundamental right to hunt and fish and gather equally in this country, it has ALWAYS been a part of our culture.
    I tend to agree with you, perhaps the way to equality is to use the courts like others have to nail down our rights? I suppose to deny open access to hunting/fishing/gathering/trapping is a violation of basic human rights?

Quote Originally Posted by Walking Buffalo View Post
    This would be a fascinating and historically important read.
    he was actually born in canada to some of the original gimli manitoba residents who came from iceland (perhaps a 3rd gen?) IIRC and died in 2012 at 87 but told me about it when i was a kid..he was being paid by the government so there must be some record of it...they were trying to provide industry/source of income and food to the northern natives as life was pretty harsh in that part of the country (late winter starvation was all too common)..ill dig with google a bit if you need proof
    Last edited by wideopenthrottle; 01-14-2020 at 01:22 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by wideopenthrottle View Post
    some of the immigrant traditions and methods were also adopted by the stone age people here....one of my best friends growing up was icelandic. his Dad (Helgi Thorvaldson) spent about a decade teaching natives in NW Ontario and northern Manitoba how to ice fish with nets through the ice...it is now considered "traditional"
    Interesting... a lot of people, including first nations forget that horses were not part of the first nation tradition/culture as well.