Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: New Management Measures for the Recreational Harvest of Shrimps and Prawns

Thumbs down New Management Measures for the Recreational Harvest of Shrimps and Prawns

New Management Measures for the Recreational Harvest of Shrimps and Prawns

Implementing New Management Measures for the Recreational Harvest of Shrimps and Prawns Combined in BC Tidal Waters

Issue

The recreational daily limit for all Shrimps, including Prawn has not changed since 1996. A series of precautionary measures have been implemented by Fisheries and Oceans Canada (DFO) in the prawn and shrimp by trap fishery for all sectors in support of conservation and sustainable management. The effort in harvesting Prawns by the recreational sector has increased significantly over the last 20 years.

To support the overall sustainability of the prawn fishery, DFO is implementing a reduced daily limit and possession limit for all Shrimp species, including Prawn, which will be in effect April 1, 2020.

Background

DFO recognizes the importance of the fishery resource to all who depend on it for their sustenance, livelihood and recreation. The Department’s role is to manage the fishery resource with a cautious approach to ensure the sustainability of Canada’s fisheries into the future.

The Department regularly reviews the management measures it has in place for fisheries to ensure they are relevant to current conditions and objectives. In recent years, DFO Fisheries Management has been making adjustments to how the prawn fishery is managed under a conservation framework guided by the Prawn and Shrimp by trap Integrated Fisheries Management Plan for all sectors in support of conservation and sustainable management. While interest and participation in recreational fishing has increased significantly in recent years, numerous features of the recreational management regime for recreational prawn fisheries have not changed in decades. The new recreational limits for these fisheries are intended to respond to changes in fishing effort as part of the precautionary approach DFO takes to ensure sustainability of the fishery.

Over the last several decades, Prawn harvest has become an increasingly valuable and important part of BC’s fisheries, placing increased pressure on the resource. The commercial Prawn harvest is one of the most valuable fisheries in BC and First Nations are harvesting Prawn in increasing numbers for Food-Social-Ceremonial (FSC) purposes, often using commercial gear. The recreational harvest of Prawns has grown, with increasing effort, increasing interest and advances in fishing gear and equipment (e.g. fish finders, chart plotters, power trap haulers). The daily limit has been in place since 1996 and has been viewed as unreasonably high, as it was an arbitrary number when adopted. Concerns about the recreational daily limit have been raised by First Nations, commercial harvesters and DFO through annual consultations. This has made efforts to manage First Nations harvest of prawn for FSC purposes challenging.

In recent years, DFO Fisheries Management has been making justments to how the Prawn fishery is managed, for all sectors, to respond to changes in prawn fisheries. All sectors involved in fishing (First Nations Food-Social-Ceremonial (FSC), Recreational, Commercial) share a responsibility to manage fisheries resources. This includes adopting sustainable fishing practices and the implementation of new management measures. Some recent examples of new management measures in the Prawn fishery include: - The requirement, starting in 2014, for all commercial Prawn vessels to have a DFO-approved Vessel Monitoring System and a system to notify DFO and the service provider every time gear is set or hauled. - The requirement, starting in 2014, for all commercial Prawn vessels to release any egg bearing female Prawn, immediately, with the least harm possible. - The requirement, starting in 2016, for a supplemental licence when using commercial gear and vessels to fish for Prawns for FSC purposes. - The requirement, starting in 2017, for all commercial Prawn vessels to remove their fishing gear within 3 days of notification of the closure of the fishery (from 7 days), reducing commercial fishing effort by 4 days in a 35-40 day fishery. - The requirement, starting in 2018, for all recreational harvesters to release any egg bearing female Prawn, immediately, with the least harm possible. - (Complete list in Appendix 1)

DFO recognizes the efforts of the Sport Fishing Advisory Board (SFAB) to support some of the existing management measures such as the release of all Prawns carrying eggs by the recreational fishing sector and seasonal area closures in key South Coast areas. The Department has consulted with the SFAB on the issue of daily limits for the past four years and more extensively in the past year to develop proposals. The SFAB recommended a smaller reduction to 170 per day in South Coast waters and no change in North Coast waters and has suggested that a reduction in the daily limit amounts to a reallocation to other sectors. While the daily limit does not restrict the total catch of the whole fishery, it can help in limiting effort in recreational fisheries that consist of numerous and often dispersed operations that might otherwise be difficult to limit. The reduction in the daily limit for recreationally caught prawn is considered a longer-term sustainable management measure that can be applied coast wide.

Management Changes

Starting April 1, 2020, the daily recreational limit for all Shrimps, including Prawn, will be reduced to 125 (aggregate limit). This applies coast wide.

The combined possession limit for all Shrimps including Prawn, will remain at 2 times the daily limit, which is 250 (aggregate limit).

.................................................. .................................................. ..

Despite DFO's assertions to the contrary, the SFAB was not properly consulted, nor do they support this change. The only way they would do so has been noted under the condition that ALL sectors took the same amount of cuts (percentage). That is not occurring.

It is the opinion of many involved (including myself) this is simply a reallocation of the resource to FN's in the name of "reconciliation".

Stay tuned for much more of the same...

Nog
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zVNNhzkJ-UU&feature=related

Egotistical, Self Centered, Son of a Bitch Killer that Doesn't Play Well With Others.

Guess he got to Know me

2. Site Sponsor

Re: New Management Measures for the Recreational Harvest of Shrimps and Prawns

Same old story - cut recreational allocation. Happened to salmon, then ground fish, now shellfish. Government carries on as it always has by looking after their only two "clients".

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Russell View Post
    Same old story - cut recreational allocation. Happened to salmon, then ground fish, now shellfish. Government carries on as it always has by looking after their only two "clients".
    This needs to sound like a broken record until fixed.
    Start singing the tune....

Stop refering to non-Indigenous consumptive use of wildlife as "Recreational".
    ALL hunting, fishing, trapping by Every person is for FOOD, Social and Ceremonial purposes.
    Demand that your Hunting/Fishing organization sings the same song, demanding the government change the wording within legislation.

Rather pointless if the enforcement isn't there for control, poachers will continue to over-harvest like they do oysters and abalone
    Certain culprits have been known to carry on their harvest as they did in their home country, whether for home or restaurant tables.
    Never say whoa in the middle of a mud hole

Quote Originally Posted by Walking Buffalo View Post

ALL hunting, fishing, trapping by Every person is for FOOD, Social and Ceremonial purposes.
    Demand that your Hunting/Fishing organization sings the same song, demanding the government change the wording within legislation.
    I get what you're saying, but its getting old being forced by uneducated and detached metro-apologists to utilize specific words to avoid attaching ill conceived thoughts. As an example, you can't say sportfishing without having the preservationist, non angling citified crew go ballistic and charge us with animal harrassment. Its bizarre. We can still fish selectively, and release fish, until we can keep a legal fish (clipped fish for example).

In this day and age of DIY, and an increased knowledge of the value of whole natural and unprocessed foods, its ironic that hunting, fishing and shellfish gathering is looked down upon with such disdain by the what sounds and appears to be by their very own derogatory comments, the elite of the world (aka vegetarians)

Jack,

To be sure you get what I'm saying I'll just say it.

The reason we must shed this "recreational" label, and have legislation amended, is for Legal standing.

Harvesting wild food is an inherent right for ALL humans, not just a selected few.
    Even the UN is working on a new policy to make it so in International law, Food as a Human Right.

We must stop allowing governments to call the exercising of basic human rights as simply "recreational".
    As you noted, anti-hunting and fishing advocates have taken to torching the weak legal status of the term "recreational".

Don't be stubborn just to be stubborn.
    To re-enforce within law that it is your Natural Human right to be able to fish, hunt, pick mushrooms and berries, stop describing your actions as recreational or as a sport.

Jack,

To be sure you get what I'm saying I'll just say it.

The reason we must shed this "recreational" label, and have legislation amended, is for Legal standing.

Harvesting wild food is an inherent right for ALL humans, not just a selected few.
    Even the UN is working on a new policy to make it so in International law, Food as a Human Right.

We must stop allowing governments to call the exercising of basic human rights as simply "recreational".
    As you noted, anti-hunting and fishing advocates have taken to torching the weak legal status of the term "recreational".

Don't be stubborn just to be stubborn.
    To re-enforce within law that it is your Natural Human right to be able to fish, hunt, pick mushrooms and berries, stop describing your actions as recreational or as a sport.
    I’ve always felt this way. Hunting, fishing, picking and guns, are a right . They are not sports, hobbies or a privilege. (Imo)
    BLACKRIFLESMATTER

Now you start undertaking why I say hunting is not a “sport” stop labeling shir it’s fishing for food not “recreational”
    This is Canada why the **** does my “white” kid have less rights than a native kid?

Thats a great idea. When on earth have non indigenous people stepped away from hunting, fishing and gathering long enough that it is not part of our culture? Never, but we are the first to get shut out every time. People need to take a stand.

I never kept my limit under the existing quotas of 200 prawns per day per licence unless I had company or something or someone to give them to. I don't keep limits just because, I keep what I can eat. I don't think any one will starve on 125 prawns PDPL. But I do recognise the thumbs down threads quota must be met around here and all the other forums, its all that's posted any more; as just about everyone drifts away from the endless negativity.
    its gonna take a life time to hunt and fish all this