Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Storing firearms in unconditioned space

Storing firearms in unconditioned space

I'm looking for some thoughts/opinions. I am building a garage/outbuilding in the spring (it was supposed to be done this fall but that's a different discussion). Right now I don't have a proper safe in the house - and really have no place to put one. So, I'm thinking that I'll build a small secure room in my new outbuilding and bolt a safe to the floor inside of the 'secure closet'.

I'll do all the usual stuff to make it difficult to break into and also secure it with a security camera etc etc.

The thing is that I don't plan to keep the building heated full time. I'm thinking that if I put a dehumidifier in the safe and keep everything well oiled I should be fine but I'm curious what everyone else's opinions are.

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Storing firearms in unconditioned space

The law recognizes your "dwelling house" as anything that is attached to your residence. I am not a lawyer but I believe an unattached garage does not count. You said "outbuilding". I think you may have an issue there.

You can put a Goldenrod in the your safe, easy peasy.
    Knowledgeable shooters agree- The 375 Ruger is the NEW KING of all 375 caliber cartridges. ALL HAIL THE NEW KING!

Gates what is a golden rod
    Avatar is for all the conspiracy theory nut bars, for all the crow they have to eat when everything implodes

I've never heard of someone who isn't vaccinated getting polio

Trump will win big time in 2020

Why is it that rednecks from Alberta can't get enough of men in dresses, they simply lose their shit

I looked at the Goldenrods but hate the thought of drilling a hole in my safe! K

Quote Originally Posted by silveragent View Post
    The law recognizes your "dwelling house" as anything that is attached to your residence. I am not a lawyer but I believe an unattached garage does not count. You said "outbuilding". I think you may have an issue there.
    Thanks for the heads up. I hadn't thought of that. But, I looked it up:

Storage of Non-Restricted Firearms

• 5 (1) An individual may store a non-restricted firearm only if

• (a) it is unloaded;
      • (b) it is

• (i) rendered inoperable by means of a secure locking device,
        • (ii) rendered inoperable by the removal of the bolt or bolt-carrier, or
        • (iii) stored in a container, receptacle or room that is kept securely locked and that is constructed so that it cannot readily be broken open or into; and

• (c) it is not readily accessible to ammunition, unless the ammunition is stored, together with or separately from the firearm, in a container or receptacle that is kept securely locked and that is constructed so that it cannot readily be broken open or into.

• (2) Paragraph (1)(b) does not apply to any individual who stores a non-restricted firearm temporarily if the individual reasonably requires it for the control of predators or other animals in a place where it may be discharged in accordance with all applicable Acts of Parliament and of the legislature of a province, regulations made under such Acts, and municipal by-laws.
    • (3) Paragraphs (1)(b) and (c) do not apply to an individual who stores a non-restricted firearm in a location that is in a remote wilderness area that is not subject to any visible or otherwise reasonably ascertainable use incompatible with hunting.

From: https://laws-lois.justice.gc.ca/eng/...html#h-1019943

Yes, I was considering a golden rod or something similar. And, of course I would keep a close eye on it as well.

If you’re buying a safe, why not have it in your house???
    If you can pack it in, You can pack it out !!!

UNITED WE STAND, DIVIDED WE FALL !!!

BCWF
    WSSBC
    CCFR
    " The secret of change is to focus all your energy, not on fighting the old, but building on the new"
    Socrates.

It's legal, don't worry about that. Goldenrods are thingys that keep your guns warm. Google them and there are lots of videos on goldenrods and similar products. One or another should do fine for you.
    Knowledgeable shooters agree- The 375 Ruger is the NEW KING of all 375 caliber cartridges. ALL HAIL THE NEW KING!

Quote Originally Posted by Ride Red View Post
    If you’re buying a safe, why not have it in your house???
    A couple of reasons:

1) my wife
    2) i am not willing to discuss on a public forum.

Quote Originally Posted by jlirot View Post
    The thing is that I don't plan to keep the building heated full time. I'm thinking that if I put a dehumidifier in the safe and keep everything well oiled I should be fine but I'm curious what everyone else's opinions are.
    For many years I stored my firearms in a gun cabinet in an unheated building other than when I was working in it, which was every couple of days or so during winter and spring months. The shop was heated with a wood stove and I never had a problem. Just keep your guns well oiled and check them occasionally. For climate reference I reside in the dry climate of central BC.
    Last edited by tomcat; 01-07-2020 at 03:49 PM.