Just a very short story on this buck:

Brad and myself packed up our stuff and hit the road for the opener. Hike up was brutal for me as i experienced a lot of back discomfort and sciatic pain down my right leg. Had it been a solo trip, i would have turned around. But we bushwacked our way up and I managed to make it.

When we set up camp, i knew this was going to be a slow trip for me. I just couldn't risk putting myself in a worse position and not being able to hike out. We made camp and tried to glass. Weather was spotty and thick blankets of fog rolled in frequently. And when they did, your visibility was 50 yards at best!

Here's a shot of the fog rolling in ... within a minute that entire bowl would be 0% visibility.

I spotted this 4 point and radio'd over to Brad. He wasn't seeing much so decided to come back and take a look. He looked through my spotter and said he was OK with that if i didn't want him. "All yours", i said. I ranged him at just over 1000 yards.

He is the top buck. Bottom buck is a decent sized 3 point. No, he's not dead, just snoozing with his head in the dirt.

With the help of some fog cover Brad closed the distance from 1000 yards to 168 and got the job done on the first day of the season! Not a huge buck, but that was great for the packout.

Here you can see the blanket of fog moving in again from the very top of the pic.

Thankfully, my back felt great by the time we left, so i was very happy about that.
Bonus pic .... me in one of these new ultralight shelters.