Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Non-toxic Shot in the Lower Mainland

Question Non-toxic Shot in the Lower Mainland

Hey everyone,

I'm new to duck hunting, bought a shotgun, some decoys and some steel shot. My friend who was interested in starting with me inherited an old shotgun from his grandfather (I don't know the make and model but he says it can't shoot steel). He's currently looking for bismuth shot, and I've heard tungsten matrix works for the older shotguns as well. As for the specific model I'm not sure, but it is a 12-gauge 2-3/4 and has a fixed full choke.

My question is, where can I find these kinds of shot? I've looked at websites for Reliable Gun, Lever Arms, Cabela's (which I assume is similar to Bass Pro), Canadian Tire, Tiger Arms, West Coast Hunting, and the only place I've found bismuth is at Italian Sporting Goods.

I'm going to stop by there later this week and see if I can pick up a box or two for him, but are there any other places I should check out. I'm not ecstatic about the price, but I know being able to hunt ducks with his grandfather's gun would mean the world to him.

Thanks in Advance

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Non-toxic Shot in the Lower Mainland

grousetrap, ammunition flies off the shelf which is probably why you have trouble seeing information on the websites. I would suggest you first find out more about the shotgun by taking it into the store. Not many will be able to or have the time to give a good answer over the phone. Reliable and Italian are your best bets for in person advice on this. Tiger does not have the best selection of ammo. And I would avoid Canadian Tire unless you know exactly what you want.

Quote Originally Posted by grousetrap View Post
    Hey everyone,

I'm new to duck hunting, bought a shotgun, some decoys and some steel shot. My friend who was interested in starting with me inherited an old shotgun from his grandfather (I don't know the make and model but he says it can't shoot steel). He's currently looking for bismuth shot, and I've heard tungsten matrix works for the older shotguns as well. As for the specific model I'm not sure, but it is a 12-gauge 2-3/4 and has a fixed full choke.

My question is, where can I find these kinds of shot? I've looked at websites for Reliable Gun, Lever Arms, Cabela's (which I assume is similar to Bass Pro), Canadian Tire, Tiger Arms, West Coast Hunting, and the only place I've found bismuth is at Italian Sporting Goods.

I'm going to stop by there later this week and see if I can pick up a box or two for him, but are there any other places I should check out. I'm not ecstatic about the price, but I know being able to hunt ducks with his grandfather's gun would mean the world to him.

Thanks in Advance
    If you’re looking for great gun and ammo community ? Check out Canadiangunnutz. They also have a ton of sponsors that sell everything that is legal.
    BLACKRIFLESMATTER

Thank you for the info silveragent. Looking forward to heading to Italian since it's basically on my way home from school.

Thanks limit time. I'll check this out tonight, never heard of this forum before.

kent and Federal used to make tungsten matrix shot, I still have some for my old Merkel my wife S&S with IM and full choke and 2/34 chambers. VERY hard to find. I have gone to reloading for this, there is one shop in Edmonton selling T-shot for reloading.
    The 375 Ruger was improved the day it was necked down to 9.3 mm

Just have a gunsmith ream out the end of the barrel to Mod or improved Mod. Shoot all the steel you want then.
    We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness.--That to secure these rights, Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed,

Collectivism is Slavery

Support a Woman's right to arm herself.

Jan 13th
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yj9Pm8-tFuU

I’m in the same boat. You can’t even find the ammo online!

i spent several hours searching online and calling all the local retailers. Nothing to be found.

OP if you find some at Italian let me know perhaps they will ship to me.

It might be worth your friends time/money to find out what type of shotgun he has. I might assume you are younger (going to school), and therefore a grandfathers gun for you might be a lot different for me. For instance a Remington 870 that has been made since 1950 is fully capable of firing steel shot if the fixed choke is opened up a bit or you use smaller shot size. Often people are told to buy a new gun by those that don't know...or are trying to sell new guns.

Quote Originally Posted by 180grainer View Post
    Just have a gunsmith ream out the end of the barrel to Mod or improved Mod. Shoot all the steel you want then.
    This. I have built a number of waterfowl guns from A5, 1100, 58, 870 Mod 12 and other good quity "antiques" they all function flawless ley have the forcing cone lengthened at the same time. I have shot literally 1000s of rounds of steel through my 1947 Model 12 Trap, no issues. Cost to modify about $100. At the price difference between "heavy shot" and stel it takes no time to pay for the smith work
    "BORN TO HUNT"
    Foxton's Cuervo Gold "KEELA" Oct. 2004-June 2017. Always in my blind and my heart.