Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Non-toxic Shot in the Lower Mainland

Re: Non-toxic Shot in the Lower Mainland

Thanks 180grainer, blackwater and Foxton Gundogs for the heads up, knowing the gun can handle steel shot if it gets modified is very reassuring. I recommended him go see an actual gunsmith rather than just reading forums online. I probed a little bit further and it turns out its a 1950's Winchester Model 12, 12 gauge. Hopefully he can get in to Reliable gun or Italian and talk to someone about getting the choke opened up.

Sharpish I was at Italian today, and they said they didn't have any bismuth unfortunately. Seems like this stuff is rarer than gold, but if it really is that easy to modify a gun to shoot steel I expect that's why.

I believe my friend is heading to Vancouver tomorrow to ask about his gun, I'll give an update once he tells me what the verdict is.

I was wondering about shooting steel in my 1978 Ithaca M37 with fixed mod choke. Ithaca actually ran an ad that their barrels could hold up to steel shot when the transition occurred in the 1980s. I fired about half a box through this season of #4 shot and didn't notice much scuffing of the bore. I'd limit my shot size to #2 and smaller.

Quote Originally Posted by Foxton Gundogs View Post
    This. I have built a number of waterfowl guns from A5, 1100, 58, 870 Mod 12 and other good quity "antiques" they all function flawless ley have the forcing cone lengthened at the same time. I have shot literally 1000s of rounds of steel through my 1947 Model 12 Trap, no issues. Cost to modify about $100. At the price difference between "heavy shot" and stel it takes no time to pay for the smith work
    if you don’t mind me asking, where did you get the barrels done ? Have a barrel with a fixed choke I’d love to get threaded for chokes.. not quite the the same but here’s hoping.

Quote Originally Posted by dak0ta View Post
    I was wondering about shooting steel in my 1978 Ithaca M37 with fixed mod choke. Ithaca actually ran an ad that their barrels could hold up to steel shot when the transition occurred in the 1980s. I fired about half a box through this season of #4 shot and didn't notice much scuffing of the bore. I'd limit my shot size to #2 and smaller.
    You won't see any "scuffing of the bore" as steel shotshells use a full length wad that holds the shot and eliminates steel on steel contact...this quickly drops away after exiting the muzzle, but does lead to tighter patterns...another reason it is recommended to use more open chokes for steel.

What did/can happen with larger pellets sizes through a full choke is that the constricted area was hammered out as the steel isn't malleable like lead shot was. Apparently this is reduced somewhat when using smaller shot size #4 and down.

Reliable did my 1957 mod. 12 heavy duck punched it out to modified and no issues.Shooting some of these high velocity stuff the more open the better.Use a skeet choke on my Benelli shooting those and it does kill way out there

If you have no plans there’s a gunshow this Sunday at the Evergreen Hall and someone there may be able to help you out .... one table is usually full of shot stuff ... doors open at 9 am in Chilliwack , 9291 Corbould St

www.gunshowscanada.ca
    Last edited by Ferenc; 01-11-2020 at 01:13 AM.

So my friend went down to Italian today to ask about modifying his Model 12, they they wouldn't do it. I'm not particular on the reason why and he didn't tell me what they said.

I think deep down he doesn't want to have it modified since he's worried about something happening to it. Looks like he'll be in the business of a new shotgun so we'll have to put off duck hunting until a later date.

I never thought about gunshows that's an excellent idea! Thanks Ferenc​.

guest Guest

I had 3 Remington old barrels honed from full to modified for field shooting . RSL gunsmithing 60 each......Abbotsford.1 way cheaper it was well worn from 40 plus years of shootin.