Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Thinking about getting a new bow but which one?

Thinking about getting a new bow but which one?

Right now I have a PSE dream season Decree. I'd like something with an ATA around 34", a DL of 29.5 and 65-70 lbs.
    It seems like used bows in Canada are going for a lot more than in the USA and there's a much smaller amount available. I'm not sure I want to buy a used one off AT and have it shipped so I'm thinking about buying a new one.

I stopped in at Just shooting arrows in Surrey just to get an idea of price and looked at a Hoyt Axius Ultra and the Mathews VXR 31.5. I didn't shoot them since I need to put a bit of cash together first but those two looked pretty nice although the Mathews did not have the longer ATA I was thinking about.

I bought my current bow used a couple years ago with the idea that I would eventually upgrade if I liked it(now I'm totally hooked) so I'm looking to buy something nice and use it for awhile. I don't care if it's carbon or aluminum so paying the premium for a carbon isn't likely to happen. What is everyone's thoughts on the new bows? I'm learning to do all my own tuning so something user friendly would be cool. I will say I'm not against buying another used bow but finding something that fits what I'm looking for and not priced close to a new bow somewhat locally is pretty hard.

What are you upgrading to?

Should I just wait and see who John Dudley has signed with later this week and buy their top bow? haha just kidding...

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Thinking about getting a new bow but which one?

I just went through the same thing. I looked locally for a nice used top end bow for awhile but being a lefty I couldn't find anything. The bows I did find were over priced I thought so I just picked one up from the states on AT. After shipping and everything it was around 900$ for a basically brand new Mathews Traverse. My plan was to shop locally for accessories but nobody could come close to the online prices so I ended up ordering all new accessories from Canadian archery online because they were significantly cheaper than the local stores. So the finished bow will be a 70lb Traverse, Spott Hogg fast eddie xl, Hamskea hybrid hunter rest and a basic stabilizer.

I might revisit looking on AT. I just picked up a nock 2 it release from the PO Box and asked a few questions about buying a used bow privately and what I needed to declare value etc. Sounds like they are cool with a pay pal receipt for a private sale.

Cmon dudes. You guys can’t all be crossbow hunters(not that there’s anything wrong with that haha)

Hoyt rx3 carbon ultra. Picked mine up last year and it is a tack driver...the start and finish of my decision was durability, nothing compares to hoyt in that category.

Did you buy it new in the lml?

Quote Originally Posted by KBC View Post
    Should I just wait and see who John Dudley has signed with later this week and buy their top bow? haha just kidding...
    Looks like he went with PSE.

Yes PSE. I think I'm leaning towards the Hoyt Axius Ultra after doing a bit more reading. As long as it feels nice shooting it of course. Stay tuned for some guns for sale haha bows aren't cheap!

Quote Originally Posted by KBC View Post
    Did you buy it new in the lml?
    Sorry missed this, I actually bought it "used" of kijiii from a fella in Saskatchewan...poor guys well ran dry and needed to sell it to pay for some more feet...hadn't had 50 arrows through it.

I would highly recommend the ultra they are an absolute joy to shoot.

If you can find last years model used from somebody that upgrades every year that's the way I'd go preferably...they are so reliable even a heavy years worth of shooting has very little effect on the integrity.

Well I ordered a new axius ultra today after trying one out. I watched archery talk for a while but with the exchange rate and duty it wouldn’t be that much less than a new one for what I was looking for. I pretty much was looking for a helix ultra or an axius ultra. A big deciding factor in why I went with the Hoyt was one thing that kept coming up about the aluminium riser Hoyt bows was the word durable.