Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: BC wolf adventure

BC wolf adventure

I recently got back from a great trip to BC and wanted to share the experience. I went on a wolf hunt/trapline combo with Paul Trepus of Inzana Outfitters out of Prince George BC. The plan was to spend some time checking and learning about Paul's trap lines and spend the majority of the time trying to shoot a wolf at a bait site. We started the trip with a trapline check and what a check it was. Paul is a master at his craft and it really showed. Nine coyotes and a XL male wolf was the total for the first stop.

On our way to the next check, I asked Paul if he ever saw any lynx while checking the sets and he said it was rare. Not 30 seconds later as we rounded a curve in the logging road, a large tom lynx bounced into the road 100 yds ahead. As Paul stopped the truck, the lynx made a quick exit back into the brush. I did not have a lynx tag, but Paul did. He slipped up the road calling using the back of his hand against his lips to make a squeaking sound. It didn't take him long to get the lynx to show and the gun barked, dead lynx.

Now at the next check, we added a another coyote and a second wolf. Two stops, two wolves, a lynx and a pile of coyotes.

We continued on the lodge where we would, at my request, spend most of our time watching and waiting for a shot at a wolf. There is no telling what the fur total could have been had we spent more time on the trapline, but I really wanted a shot a wolf. The whole first day we had snow but could still see the 290 yds to the bait. No wolves showed during legal daylight but after dark, with fresh snow, moon and binos, I saw a wolf visit the bait several times. He was there until 6:15 am Tuesday morning but legal shooting wasn't until about 7:20 am. Fog rolled in after only ten minutes of legal light and we could not see the bait until almost noon. About 2:00 pm the snow came in strong and it was a struggle to see the bait. With 15 minutes of legal light left, I saw glimpses of a large black wolf but there was no way to make him out good enough for a shot.
    Every night the wolf would come, most nights multiple times. We could see him in the binos with moon light but he eluded us in legal shooting hours except for the visit in the heavy snow.
    On the last day, we again checked a trapline and added 5 more coyotes to the pile.
    Paul has multiple camps. We were at the main lodge, a beautiful log structure. He also has 3 really nice cabins there with both electric heat and wood stoves for those that enjoy a fire.

I really enjoyed the trip. Paul is first class all the way. The food was great. His equipment is top notch and the camp was awesome. I look forward to a return trip with Inzana Outfitters.

2. Site Sponsor

Re: BC wolf adventure

guest Guest

Sounds and looks like a great trip.
    Sure is cool to be on a trapline with folks that know what their doing.

A huge Way to go and thanks for your efforts managing preds.

Great job reducing predators!! Thanks for sharing.
    Live to Hunt...

Nice haul, congrats!
    1. Human over population
    2. Government burden and overreach

That’s awesome!! Sounds so fun! Congrats and thank him and you for your hard work

Hmmm awesome adventure, thank you for sharing and reducing our preditor problem
    cheers
    steven

That looks like a great adventure and good operation!
    Knowledgeable shooters agree- The 375 Ruger is the NEW KING of all 375 caliber cartridges. ALL HAIL THE NEW KING!

Never even knew this was an available/possible adventure!
    Very cool! And what an awesome way to learn and manage preds.

Well done! Sounds like a good time.